• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

julia margaret cameron style/girl b&wportrait

Anna Nowakowska

Julia Margaret Cameron was using her attic studio light with the light source always above the models head.

0b51569bbd724f7e9561d1ea4acc5b5f_zpsb30b72ea.jpg

Anna Nowakowska: "Julia Margaret Cameron style/girl b&w portrait"

I gave up on mature models as they were always to high and the light source came from every possible direction except roof window that I don't even have. There is a possiblity that I am too short as well:) But I am quite happy with what I'veachieved here, even though I don't like shooting form above I like the way her hair frame the face.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Anna,

I like the innocence in the child's face and appreciate you using available light. You can augment this with white or black foam core board to build three dimensional shading on your subjects, small or tall. Also consider the seated portrait or even lying on a couch or pillows!

You will be amazed what a simple white foam core card at 45 degrees will do in lighting your subjects! Add black at the sides and you have an inexpensive studio built for your own space!

Asher

Robert Watcher

So this is a nice cute portrait. I am not a photography history buff by any means. I know the name Julia Margaret Cameron and have seen some of her photographs in the past, without making any real effort to examine them.

So without really knowing her work - - - what struck me with interest in your description here, is when you implied that you were using a method similar to hers, of "the light source always above the models head". Your portrait did not show those qualities to me. Lighting from above the head would produce a darkened look under the eyes and a tight shadow structure under the nose and chin, if there was a dominant shadow (depending on how far back the light is from the front of the face). As well, I wondered if she would take a photograph from such a high camera angle with the issues that raises.

And so I did a Google search for examples of her portraits and did recognize clearly the overhead light on some of her shots. The dark eye sockets and tight shadows are there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Julia+Margaret+Cameron&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YK1nU-H9KqbhsATTzIDICA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1438&bih=764#q=Julia+Margaret+Cameron&rls=en&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=7adq32we3xk1fM%253A%3Bp6pLU-tD9sfwfM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimages.huffingtonpost.com%252F2013-08-28-3._Christabel.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%252F2013%252F09%252F01%252Fjulia-margaret-cameron_n_3832126.html%3B1616%3B2009

I didn't see any images taken from a high angle that exposes the whites of the bottom of the eyes. Her technique was very good in this regard, where the face would be moved up so that there isn't white showing in any of her images. Of course, she did move her high light source forward on many images for a more butterfly look where the eyes were lit well with the tight shadow under the nose. Too she implimented strong side lighting - from her windows I presume - in many of her portraits.

I'm not making a statement against your nice portrait - - - just wondering if there is a particular "Julia Margaret Cameron" image that you were trying to emulate - - - or it if is primarily the large format DOF "look" and long exposure softness "feel" that would imply Julia Margaret Cameron, to you with this shot?

I appreciate you making me think on this matter ( something I seldom do :) ).

------

Anna Nowakowska

Yes, I think that what I wanted to achieve was the dreamy eyes and softness around face (no sepia though:), I think I didn't state that I gave up after few attempts on Julia's Style as it is difficult to achieve. But she was photographing children a lot and yes the light source on this one comes from the window on the left. I am a student but like to look into inspirational photographers.

Thanks Robert.

Anna, your portrait is quite nice but very different, as Robert has observed from Margaret Cameron's work. In fact, I did research on Margaret or an article I wrote about her last year and she didn't shoot in an attic. She shot in a chicken coop that she transformed into her studio. Although the light is often from above, she, on the other hand did not shoot from up above. The softness comes from long exposures where the models had to stay still for long periods of time. Obviously, being human, there was slight movement and this created the softness. As for shooting children, most of her models where family and friends, even housekeepers were used as models.

Your photo is quite nice though and looks great.
Maggie