• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Jupiter and Moons

I could not find an astro category, is there one?

Jupiter and Moons, 6-13-2019. Not my best work, but still worth the try. Had equipment snafus, took forever.
('some' of its moons)
I have been hearing Jupiter is close to the earth right now, so... had to give it a shot, or two, since it's up there...
500mm + 1.4 TC, D7000 UV/IR.
No filter, full spectrum, sharpened, cropped, etc..

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fabulous!

What camera mount for getting to the right tracking angle do you have and is it motorized?

Asher

Jupiter is very close to the earth right now, it is the brightest thing in the sky, other than the moon, and it's about straight south at about midnight, the last few days or more now.
Not hard to spot, except the moon is getting brighter at this point. You can probably find it in a clear southern sky around midnight if you can see any stars at all?
You may be able to see the moons with just a pair of binoculars.
I shot this in my front yard, which is in a city, but not a very bright part of the city.
D7000 UV/IR, 700mm, manual focus, live view via Zacuto loupe, ISO 200, manual exposure mode, f/16, 1/2s.
White Balanced in CNX2, exposure adjusted, sharpened, cropped.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Last night the moon was very bright, (I think the fellow up there actually winked at me, LOL), but the sky was too lit up from our city lights.

I did look for your threesome, but they didn’t show up!

Asher

Yes, the moon is full right now. Other than the moon, Jupiter is the brightest object in the southern sky right now, so keep looking.

catalinc

If you may allow me to contribute to this topic with some beginner photos of Jupiter, taken from my balcony, one week ago.
Prime focus capturing with a SkyMax 102 telescope, with Canon 600D (T3i) camera.
Both resulted through stacking from 1000 frames (those resulting from LiveView capture with APT software). C
Hoping to achieve better results soon :).

I am located in Slovakia, near Bratislava.

Attachments

• Jup_2019-08-15 22_03_g5_ap65_conv.png
    Jup_2019-08-15 22_03_g5_ap65_conv.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Jup_2019-08-15 22_06_g5_ap31_Drizzle30 Reg.png
    Jup_2019-08-15 22_06_g5_ap31_Drizzle30 Reg.png
    523.1 KB · Views: 152