• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just testing out my new to me Canon 7D Mark II

Jim Olson

I had surgery last Thur so I can't go anywhere for now but I do have my front yard to shot.
TNX again to Will & Asher.
I'm having fun with the faster shutter speed & the 10 shots per sec.
Here is just a few shot from this morning.

Coming in for a landing and scared the fly away.
BV6A7704 E11 C8 S7 crop.jpg

Fight at the feeders
BV6A7715 E13 C10 S9 crop.jpg

BV6A7726 E16 C9 S9 crop.jpg

BV6A7733 E16 C9 S9 crop.jpg

BV6A7737 E16 C9 S9 crop.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We all wish you speedy recovery from your surgery!

We look forward to your pictures of the eagles and other wild birds nearby!

Asher

Jim Olson

We all wish you speedy recovery from your surgery!

We look forward to your pictures of the eagles and other wild birds nearby!

Asher
Thank you, & I have walked just over 800 steps today & that is the most I've walked since my surgery.
Also, I was chatting with a neighbor (using an on-line neighborhood app) & she was tell me about an eagle's nest that is on our street. It's only .3 of a mile away from my house.
So hopefully the eagles will be nesting there again soon.
Fingers crossed

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

F5012C0A-18B1-47FC-81E1-BFFE7D12956E.jpeg

Jim,

I enlarged this cut out!

Can you zoom in on such a bird again!

Great improvement this camera!

Asher

Glad to hear you are recuperating well from your operation and congrats on the new camera.

The shots are really fun, but I'm curious why they have so much color noise. The second set seem clean but the first and the last have tons of it.

Jim Olson

Glad to hear you are recuperating well from your operation and congrats on the new camera.

The shots are really fun, but I'm curious why they have so much color noise. The second set seem clean but the first and the last have tons of it.
Thank you, I'm feeling much better. Still not moving around a lot.
I'm still getting used to the camera & I had less sun with the 1st set. I wanted the high shutter speed but I had to turn the ISO high to over come the changing overcast sky.
TNX for commenting...

Glad you are feeling better

Jim, do you have Lightroom? You can easily get rid of color noise there, get rid of some of the luminosity noise too. You may want to sharpen after that, but I don't push the general sharpness, I do it
very selectively in Photoshop, by sharpening with the High Pass Filter, (Filters/other) setting to soft light, then putting a black mask on it and with a soft brush set to white, just go over areas you want to
sharpen. This will eliminate the ghastly white lines that we often see in over-sharpened images. Hope that helps.

Jim Olson

Glad you are feeling better

Jim, do you have Lightroom? You can easily get rid of color noise there, get rid of some of the luminosity noise too. You may want to sharpen after that, but I don't push the general sharpness, I do it
very selectively in Photoshop, by sharpening with the High Pass Filter, (Filters/other) setting to soft light, then putting a black mask on it and with a soft brush set to white, just go over areas you want to
sharpen. This will eliminate the ghastly white lines that we often see in over-sharpened images. Hope that helps.
That is great help. I have used LR on my phone, but I have Linux OS on my laptop, so I can't use it.
I will test some things out in DarkTable (Lightroom for Linux) & see what I can do. I just started using DT so I'm not to familiar with it yet.

Jim Olson

Okay, 3 more from this morning. Got these just as the Dove was taking off.
I'm really enjoying doves in my yard.
BV6A7819 E16 C9 S9 crop STR -1.6.jpg

BV6A7820 E16 C9 S9 crop STR -0.9.jpg

BV6A7821 E16 C9 S9 crop STR -1.6.jpg

Wish I could help for the Linux Dark Table, but am completely Linux ignorant. Sorry about that. So fun that you get to take pictures of the doves in your back yard. Especially since you have just been operated on, and can't go very far, this gives
a great opportunity to do something you love. Keep it up! :) Maggie

Jim Olson

Wish I could help for the Linux Dark Table, but am completely Linux ignorant. Sorry about that. So fun that you get to take pictures of the doves in your back yard. Especially since you have just been operated on, and can't go very far, this gives
a great opportunity to do something you love. Keep it up! :) Maggie
I'll get more into editing but just having fun shoot pictures out the front window. My front yard is small but I hope to set up my tripod in the backyard soon. I guess I could sit at the picnic table and see what I can find in the trees back there. I didn't think about that until now. :LOL:That way I can use my 100-400mm back there.
TNX for the idea.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Darktable can denoise a picture. A good explanation can be found here:

It is also very easy to find dozens of youtube videos on the subject.

And, for Maggie, Darktable is available for OS X and windows.
Jérôme,

Your link to “Darktable” is superb, but with a side effect of extreme humbling an addicted narrow-pathed Photoshop-user like myself!

Watching one video revealed my lack of more than superficial technical expertise on the components of noise. In a studio lit picture, I strive to illuminate my subjects well.

However, I now admit that my MOLA light bowls, the periphery of the scene can be very poorly lit! So I am actually dealing with noise, (I have overlooked for too long) for which “Darktable” could be the remedy!

I will begin to study the application and see if I can update my workflow.

Thanks!

Asher

Last edited:

Jim Olson

Darktable can denoise a picture. A good explanation can be found here:

It is also very easy to find dozens of youtube videos on the subject.

And, for Maggie, Darktable is available for OS X and windows.
Thank you so much for the link. I'm checking it out right now. I yes, I do need to look on YouTube for Darktable tutorials. I don't know why I didn't think of that because I use YouTube all the time when I'm trying something new. I just finished an 1hour 30 min on my Canon 7D Mark II :LOL:
TNX again.

Jim Olson

Okay, very early this morning my wife and I were looking out the window and I had my camera in hand looking for something to take a picture of and my wife said look there goes an eagle...
I only got one picture before it flew behind the trees.
20210313071508_BV6A8180~2.JPG

Last edited:

Jim Olson

Woohoo! On my first outing since my surgery and my wife saw this eagle in a tree near one of our favorite spots to shoot the lighthouse.
BV6A8375 E16 C9 S9 crop.jpg

BV6A8269 E16 C8 S16 crop Bri STR -0.6.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Olson

Here is just one quick shot from the front window yesterday. I was going to add it yesterday & forgot.
This is the first Blue Jay to visit in the front yard.
BV6A8541 E16 C9 S9 crop STR -2.2.jpg

Jim Olson

Did a whale watching tour yesterday & got some shots with the newly repaired Canon 7D Mark II
Her tag # was 531

BV6A0757 E16 C16 S16 crop.jpg