• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

K M Asad - Photographer

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Brilliant, Antonio, in that it’s ambiguous: fashion, protester, worker in dirt environment, hiding identity from tormentors, we have no idea.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nice shot,
I saw the same kind of guy(s) cleaning ships hulls in Bangladesh…
There were 2 ropes on each side to hold a board where it was standing and could, by pulling the ropes, raise or lower the board to change of place...
But they did not use that high tech protection on their face…

Cem_Usakligil

This is not a photo of Antonio but of K M Asad. It is a bit ambiguous since Antonio doesn't explain it, I had to search for the photo on the net to make sure.

Antonio Correia

This is not a photo of Antonio but of K M Asad. It is a bit ambiguous since Antonio doesn't explain it, I had to search for the photo on the net to make sure.
Cem... the copyright is just above the image and if you click on the photo it goes to the site of the photographer...

Cem_Usakligil

Cem... the copyright is just above the image and if you click on the photo it goes to the site of the photographer...
I didn't see the copyright since it is orange and I tend to ignore it as being part of the forum layout.
And clicking on the photo is not a given since there is no indication that it is clickable. ;)

And two people have congratulated you thinking that it was your photo so I'm not alone, lol

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just the same, I appreciate so much bring this strong and significant photographer to our attention.

I have the art book of the late Michael Reichman of the stark unhumabe & primative conditions for the laborours in the Bangladesh shipyards harvesting rusty, asbestos laden freighters for iron scrap.

Here, however we see more: actual children slaving away at the grueling tasks with those bare conditions primitive. This is not merely a sad documentary. Such steel is very valuable if origin was prior to nuclear weapons testing as then tgecsteel gives a a low “clean” background of radiation suitable for advanced nuclear instrumentation. In any case, the morality of using such steel without reforming the community conditions and adding education opportunities, training and health safeguards, should be urgently addressed.

So here the camera serves to spread the truth of the matter and ask us to act! Kudos!

I would like us to consider that some aspect of great photography should be to hold up a lantern to ourselves and the planet over which we have usurped dominion.

This photographer, K M Asad does just that!

Asher

nicolas claris

Nice shot,
I saw the same kind of guy(s) cleaning ships hulls in Bangladesh…
There were 2 ropes on each side to hold a board where it was standing and could, by pulling the ropes, raise or lower the board to change of place...
But they did not use that high tech protection on their face…
I digged into old files shot in Bangladesh in 2013, in Chittagong "harbour"

Below are some images that can show more about these workers…

_NCL5621.jpg

_NCL5615.jpg

_NCL5615-2.jpg

Crop of above image

fahim mohammed

Thank you Antonio to bring this photographer to my attention.
I am moved by the stories told in each face.

Thanks also to Nicolas for his Chittagong series.

Great stuff.

nicolas claris

Jerome... sometimes reality surpasses fiction !
:)
Showing people's pride and beauty without pathos has always been my moto.
My aim, when doing such work, is not to make the viewer ashamed but to suggest him/her to like, love and why not help.
At least to be concious about the world not being equal for everyone.