• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Killdeer

James Lemon

1B5EC5A4-A0EA-48C3-9CDC-3DB2698311CB_1_105_c.jpeg

James Lemon

That’s fabulous! Did you swing your lens to track it or your camera does it!

Asher
The Nikon Z8 is an amazing camera !!! No shutter = no blackout. Literally zero blackout in EVF or rear display at any shutter speed. This is a game changer when tracking subjects but one still needs that ability. Also being able to pick out a moving target with a long lens requires some practise as well . Think of shooting clay pigeons and being quick on the draw. This is a tiny bird that moves fast much more of a challenge than a larger one that moves slower but good practise. I shoot handheld with a light lens Nikkkor Z 400mm f/4.5 S lens 9.2" long and weighs 2.7 lbs.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That’s impressive. Nikon has always been a fast camera to use. It’s great thst today we have such good choices.

BTW, I was intrigued that the hatchlings get to feed themselves one day after hatching!

“The young stay in the nest until the day after being hatched, when they are led by their parents to a feeding territory”
(Wikipedia)

Impressive bird!

Asher

James Lemon

That’s impressive. Nikon has always been a fast camera to use. It’s great thst today we have such good choices.

BTW, I was intrigued that the hatchlings get to feed themselves one day after hatching!

“The young stay in the nest until the day after being hatched, when they are led by their parents to a feeding territory”
(Wikipedia)

Impressive bird!

Asher
Nikon has really upped their game in terms of focusing abilities for wildlife and sports ! Yes birds are interesting did you know that there are about 74 different species of seagulls ?

James Lemon

Can they interbreed?

Asher
Evidently, several of the large, white-headed gulls of the north have evolved and separated into species only recently. They haven’t had enough time to become reproductively isolated yet, so when their populations meet again, they end up interbreeding with their close cousins. That doesn’t mean they’re all going to be lumped into one species—but they do present endless ID challenges for birders.