• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Helpful Hints/D.I.Y.: Learning the basics by Michael Stern: 9 a.m. Pacific time, 12 Noon Eastern time!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have been reading Build a Better Photograph by Michael E. Stern, liked how he works and writes and decided to look him up online. I have discovered that he gives free "Broadcasts" covering basic photographic techniques and useful tools.

Cover.jpg

Here, I'm just referring to the live "broadcasts" the 3rd I believe, tomorrow. (I'll be posting a review of the book for you). This upcoming broadcast should be helpful for folk entering digital photography, those trying to go from an automatic point and shoot to a DSLR or film camera with independent control of ISO, shutter speed and aperture settings as well as anyone wanting to shoot sports groups as done in the NBA! So it's beginners to advanced amateurs and enthusiasts. Despite basic material, there should be tidbits for the more accomplished photographer too and this will be more true as the series progresses.

The broadcast is found here and there's more each week, I believe. files for the program are available online. Tomorrow, The Quality of Light is being covered and will include a dandy cube product for color calibration of your shot lighting.

There will also be an interview with Andy Bernstein who is the Senior Director, NBA Photos to reveal the lighting setup used in all the NBA shoots!

Roy.jpg

Michael E. Stern: Roy Disney and some of the Disney Characters

Michael Stern has had a long career with 20 years under his belt at Disney Studios. He's a teacher and has a humorous way of presenting material you need. This series will cover more advanced topics as it continues, but will always cover basic concepts, an interview and some gear that he actually uses. The price is excellent, being free. Watch it and tell us how it was.

Asher