• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Leather, wood and skin

Graham Mitchell

I haven't been to this forum much and suddenly rediscovered it and found lots of interesting posts, so I thought I'd say hello and post a few images from a recent shoot by way of an introduction.

Rollei 6008AF and Sinar eMotion 54LV. First shot is 80mm f2.8 PQS lens at f4, others are 150mm PQS at f5.6, f8.

maria-2_71.jpg

maria-2_166.jpg

maria-2_197.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Welcome, Graham!

I'm so pleased to see pictures from the Sinar 54LV but I'm especially interested in the raw unkempt style. In fact, did you do any edited out of defects? You didn't care to smooth the dry lines in her lips, keeping a gritty appearance. This adds to the "Truth" in this picture. We have had an interesting discussion on the so-called "Truth in Photography" movement. Your work has that sense to it. But who knows? You might well be a driven retoucher who'll turn this photograph into a sultry vamp picture with glistening lips! Anyway, I like your series as is.

While this is obviously posed, you still have somehow maintained an aura of independence of this woman, albeit she's bare chested. We're almost asked to believe that she took a break to get away from someone or just have a smoke where perhaps smoking was not allowed. So part of the pictures interest, beyond some obvious partial nudity, is uniquely a subtle narrative. We are willing to work with this and explore possibilities since you have made no definite barrier to that.

I do have a question about "What might be important for this picture to work mechanistically" The answer might be not found in any of the color, rather diminished by it. I posit that in B&W, the shadows become more important and the picture can be written in a composition of tones. You have a wide latitude for creativity here, should this interest you, as you can assign colors to what you want or simply delete all the color information. Have you perhaps considered this alternative presentation?

Again, thanks for joining us! I hope you will look around and give your feedback on pictures that interest you or need help!

Asher

Graham Mitchell

Hi Asher, as you guessed I wanted to keep these gritty, and I might try the first in B&W although I feel it wouldn't fit in with the others so well in mono. Will post here if/when I try that :)