• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Let's See Whatya Doin' With That M8

Jack_Flesher

Hi Asher:

I like the image as-is because it has a different "balance" between the atmosphere and ground than we are used to --- almost looks lunar. I am no expert in IR, but I suspect that it is an effect of IR.

Note that this particular shot was taken a good 40 minutes BEFORE sunrise and was a 30 second exposure at f8, ISO 160 in very low light. Also note the white on the rocks and ground is snow and not sand. As such not much IR would be present in the ground or rocks themselves, but certainly more than the clear sky (dark) and certainly less than the clouds (light). (FWIW at this time of day, IR actually gives an exposure time close to that of visible light.)

As for the update: My take is this is an excellent deal for anybody who has 1) has put a LOT of mileage on their M8 or 2) wants a quieter M8. On the first point, think a few years down the road when you have 150K actuations on the shutter and your rear LCD is all scratched up. For 1200E you get a new shutter, scratch-proof LCD AND fresh 2 year warranty! On the second point, I was at PMA for a meeting with Leica, and they had a modified M8 there. I can tell you it is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than the current version, so I'll probably do both of my bodies as the current warranties will be up soon...

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One question I have Jack is when will an M9 appear?

I imagine that selling the M8 now and getting yourself a brand new M8 might be about the same cost?

Asher

Jack_Flesher

Actually, Leica claimed they have no plans to produce an M9. Instead they will continue to produce the basic M8 IN ITS CURRENT CONFIGURATION and offer more a-la-cart upgrade options like the shutter/LCD. I asked specifically and they said this would INCLUDE a full frame sensor when available...

Bottom line is the M8 was designed for modular upgrades at the factory as newer technology became available. They won't change the current basic model until technology prevents them from upgrading inside the existing body. Thus, you can buy a beat up M8 at a bargain whenever, pay to get it "upgraded" with whatever option or options, and get a fresh 2-year warranty each time.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Actually, Leica claimed they have no plans to produce an M9. Instead they will continue to produce the basic M8 IN ITS CURRENT CONFIGURATION and offer more a-la-cart upgrade options like the shutter/LCD. I asked specifically and they said this would INCLUDE a full frame sensor when available...

Nya huh. Well, we'll see. I'd certainly admire and salute Leica if they really do figure out how to perform a full-frame retrofit. But I wouldn't bet $10 ... or $1800 ... on it. There are just too many reasons why it would be a bad idea for Leica, regardless of what becomes technically possible.

Personally, I think that improving their M8 quality assurance procedures should be Leica's job #1 right now. The M8's been in the market for well over a year yet there are still abundant reports of new camera failures and other debilitating problems. That's bad enough, but having to send all broken M8s back to the Fatherland, with Leica having no meaningful service centers elsewhere, makes matters worse.

But I'm happy with mine as it is right now. No major problems. And as I intend to maintain status quo I definitely do not plan to order the M8 update. Shooting with my M7 last week reminded me what a genuinely quiet shutter sounds like. It made me wonder why Leica didn't decide to make an "M8-Q" that used a thumb lever to cock the shutter, like the old Epson RD-1. That certainly would have reduced the "shutter noise", albeit at the expense of continuous shooting (which is not very useful on this camera anyway).

Oh well, I don't want to stray off-topic. That's what the Leica forum is for.

Asher Kelman

For Leica, hardly anything is off topic!

What prices are used M8 cameras going for? Also how much is the upgrade?

What are the quietest Leicas for work in concerts?

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
For Leica, hardly anything is off topic!

What prices are used M8 cameras going for? Also how much is the upgrade?
Warrantied refurbished units are making their way into the market. Just this evening I found (and bought) just such a silver-chrome M8 for just a bit UNDER $4,000. That's the lowest price for a non-privately resold unit that I've seen. Heck, it's even lower than the $4500 I paid for my original M8 and a pure bargain compared to the current $5500 price new.

What are the quietest Leicas for work in concerts?

Asher
I've never photographed a concert, but any of the film M cameras would be the quietest Ms...as long as you didn't drop that goofy bottom plate while changing film. I doubt that anyone would hear my M7's shutter even during the quietest passage in a classical concert.

Jack_Flesher

I've never photographed a concert, but any of the film M cameras would be the quietest Ms...as long as you didn't drop that goofy bottom plate while changing film. I doubt that anyone would hear my M7's shutter even during the quietest passage in a classical concert.

Any of the M's with all-mechanical shutters are significantly less noisy, even a lot less so than the M7. Brass body parts in the black paint models deaden sound even more. Head to your nearest dealer and dry-fire a black-paint MP and you'll understand why there are complaints about the M8 noise...

Asher Kelman

Are the new M8 models for sale with the latest LCD and shutter updates. Also what is the cost of hte update? I'm wondering about the risks of buying uses and updating v a new M8.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Are the new M8 models for sale with the latest LCD and shutter updates.
No.

Also what is the cost of hte update? I'm wondering about the risks of buying uses and updating v a new M8.

Asher

I don't think that Leica has "officially" announced the pricing for the update yet. But it may be the worst kept secret on the 'Net, as the figures of 1,200 EUR, or $1,800 US have been used since the program's announcement.

The whole story, at least to the extent it's known, can be viewed on the Leica M8 page.

Jack_Flesher

I don't think that Leica has "officially" announced the pricing for the update yet. But it may be the worst kept secret on the 'Net, as the figures of 1,200 EUR, or $1,800 US have been used since the program's announcement.

The whole story, at least to the extent it's known, can be viewed on the Leica M8 page.

The OFFICIAL price for the update is 1200 Euro's, per Leica. You cannot buy an M8 with the work pre-done, it is available via upgrade only.

You can find most of the answers to all of this in this thread: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667