• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Low Light Music Venue and club Photography

Don Manion

This is a photo of Carrie Rodriguez. http://www.myspace.com/carrielrodriguez
Well I'm interested to get some feedback on some work that I have done. I have been photographing at the same venue for over one year. It has been a great opportunity to shoot live stage performances. I am often frustrated with the low levels of light and the highly saturated reds and blues, although it is part of what makes these photos standout. When I photograph a show without stage lighting it seems dull and boring. I spend a lot of time around f 1.4 - f 2.0 ...The shallow DOF adds to the style and creates many interesting options. At iso 1600, the images are very grainy at 100% but seems to look sharp at this much smaller size. Is this result common? At a lesser iso the images are to dark.
I'm new at posting on this site, so I'm sure to embrace a couple of awkward moments.
Bring it on!
Here is a link to some of my work... http://www.myspace.com/donmanion

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Don,

This is a new topic and thread, so I moved it here!

Meanwhile I don't see any image you are referring to. to get that image to appear here get here, host it on an online website and then get the URL ending in .jpg. Put that URL between

Explain what the image is for and then we can discuss something!!

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Asher :)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Meanwhile I don't see any image you are referring to. to get that image to appear here get here, host it on an online website and then get the URL ending in .jpg. Put that URL between

It is but the link to a gallery doesnt work like an image.

This one should work…

web.jpg

Don, once your image is loaded in a new page of your gallery (after clicking the thumbnail) do a right click on it to "open the image in a new window" then copy the exact url… and paste it in your message between
tags.

Welcome BTW!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Don,

This kind of an image, like the sunset is a tricky challenge. You cannot simply use a grey card and then select that for color correction in Photoshop or other software. That will make the atmosphere and spell of the moment go away.

Grain doesn't mattrer, IMHO, it in fact enhances the ambience.

I particulalry like the expression her face and shje is playing the violin. The picture works well. It's edgy and non-formal. If you "perfect" it it will lose its spontanious feeling. I like that you have not blown out the highlights on her face. That goes easilly with lights from above. So technically, this is great.

Now, if you did not ask for critique, I'd leave my comments there, for the picture really works for me, bringing me there. I feel her music and the crowd.

As you might have noticed, (much to the horror of a lot of well-experienced and opinionated folks, including devoted firends), whenever we see a "whole of something" I start wondering about context. Theen I want more of the background. Here it's specific! I'd love to also see more of those lights and the rays spreading out and making their patterns around her. Also all of her bow. That will give it more power.

If you have more such pictures, let's have more fun!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Rachel Foster

I like this. I got a shot of Santana last year with the wonderful effect of stage lighting and loved it. The colors on this one are vibrant, vivid, and the composition energetic and engaging.