• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Magic of a Queen Bumble Bee Heat Engine!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Honeybees use the same process to heat the hive.
Jérôme,

Thet’s a fabulous adaption. Is shivering a similar process or do do they actually disconnect the linkage?

I wonder if other animals can do this. There are beetles that can mix chemicals and have a rear pointing canon and there’s a shrimp that fires a super-hot jet for protection!

But no proven dragons, I guess!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Indeed worker bees have a barbed sting which stays in the body of stung mammals. They will then loose the sting and the poison sack, which will continue to pump into the victim. The ejected sting system also has a gland which emits an odor to signal other bees where the enemy is. This is a great strategy for a social insect which needed a collective defense against large animals.
The sting will however not stay in other insects so that worker bees can sting several times in that case. Wasps and hornets do not have a barbed sting and routinely sting several times in a row. The sting of the queen honeybee is also not barbed.