• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Make love, not war.

Jerome Marot

Christopher Street Day is the name of the pride walk in Munich. As it happens right where I live, I usually try to photograph it. There was a pause due to the pandemic so this year was quite energetic, yet different.

DSC00265.jpg

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

Jerome Marot

But pride walks are, per essence, a political message and thus take into account recent events. The following picture explains the title of this thread, I am sure you will recognise the flags.

DSC00228.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It’s so joyous!

I am happy that gay pride allows folk to feel their own worth.

It’s a great measure of personal freedom that these events are part of our Western culture.

We need to protect freedom of thought and expression, for that what helps differentiate ourselves as people!

Hopefully, we each get to find our own mantra and not recite that from either a book of Mao or other deliverance of memes.

Asher

Jerome Marot

"Feel their own worth" is not the way I would put it into words, but I certainly agree on the personal freedom.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
"Feel their own worth" is not the way I would put it into words, but I certainly agree on the personal freedom.
50 years ago, the status of thr gay community was one of being marginalized far more than it is today. I can’t help but imagine this affected sense of self!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I don't think it is that simple. On the one hand, being told that you'll end up in hell, that you are worthless, etc... (which was part of the experience for some gay men 50 years ago) is damaging to one's sense of self. On the other hand, being considered sexually attractive, having people feel lust and desire in your presence is, generally speaking, an ego booster, at least in a sex positive environment. I would believe that, at least for the most attractive people, the net effect was positive and served to reinforce a sense of community, as the positive message came only within the community.

Obviously not everyone is attractive and the effect was probably overwhelmingly negative for people shun by potential sex partners. But that is not exclusive to gay men. A large proportion of people rarely find a sex partner, if ever.

But I don't think that pride walks are about sex, even if the imagery makes it appear so. It is difficult for me to say, but it seems that they are more about fostering a sense of community. In that sense, and as bizarre as it may appear to use westerners, they are more similar to football matches or religious processions.