• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Manual focus on R5c

On the off chance I can get something to help make it easier.

So I am still transitioning from 1DsM3 to 5Rc and having a bit of trouble figuring out manual focus on the 5Rc. The autofocus is outstanding and have that well figured out and where it has some issues, but have trouble getting into manual focus quickly, if that is possible.

On the 1DsM3 it was just flip the lens switch to MF and good to go. Does not work the same on the 5Rc, with RF lenses, so any assistance on how to make that happen quickly or letting me know to just give up on the 5Rc would be appreciated. I don't need MF often, but every once in awhile it would be handy.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Greetings!

Are you fully converted to RF lenses?

Obviously you can use a EF lens with a converter to get a MF switch.

If I remember right you can assign a button on the R5 to quickly switch to MF.

I don’t know for sure if that is possible on your R5C but since they are cousins I would assume it is possible.

Let me check my sources to confirm this and get you info on how to do this.

Last edited:

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
What mode ar you using for MF?

If video then you can assign a button to toggle between AF and MF.

If still photo then you need to setup a Custom mode on C1-C3 for MF.

This is from Canon USA CPS, I just asked them!

Forgot to check back until now.
AT this point I only have three RF lenses (50/1.8, 85/1.8 (AKA the low cost ones), and the VR lens). The rest are EF. I would have just stuck with EF with the adapter, except the VR lens, except I read several people saying the focus servos burn out faster using them on the mirrorless cameras and especially if using them in video mode on the R5c, so picked up the two RF lenses to use as primary lenses, although I also cart around one of my EF 24/2.8 for if I need a wide angle lens (I say one of, because I have two of those I was using frequently for 3D stereo with a pair of T3i's, but I usually use the pair of EF 50mm/1.8's I have with that rig.
I am usually in Manual or Av shoot modes, or usually still photography, video mode is still a novelty to me.

I was figuring it was something like set up a custom button.

Thanks,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Forgot to check back until now.
AT this point I only have three RF lenses (50/1.8, 85/1.8 (AKA the low cost ones), and the VR lens). The rest are EF. I would have just stuck with EF with the adapter, except the VR lens, except I read several people saying the focus servos burn out faster using them on the mirrorless cameras and especially if using them in video mode on the R5c, so picked up the two RF lenses to use as primary lenses, although I also cart around one of my EF 24/2.8 for if I need a wide angle lens (I say one of, because I have two of those I was using frequently for 3D stereo with a pair of T3i's, but I usually use the pair of EF 50mm/1.8's I have with that rig.
I am usually in Manual or Av shoot modes, or usually still photography, video mode is still a novelty to me.

I was figuring it was something like set up a custom button.

Thanks,
What are your usual subjects for still
Photography with your mirrorless camera? Why manual focus? I thought AF was supposed to be stellar.

For macro I could understand.

Asher

Well the RF 85/1.8 I got is a macro capable lens. And the answer would be flowers and birds. I don't JUST take pictures of scantily clad models, just happen to take those more often usually. :)

And it is usually flowers and local fauna (specifically birds) where I need MF. The default for the R5c is closest subject (or eye detection if there are eyes present), unless I trip the back LCD panel correctly, the catch being I have fat fingers and the R5c has 1024 tiny focus points relative to the LCD panel. and if it is a small object in amongst some plants, it tends to display the weakness of the R5c's auto-focus system.

lessons learned today.
And I had not paid attention until just now (looking for how to set the manual focus (C1-C3) ). My 1DsM3 didn't have a Green easy setting, but apparently my R5c does ( I have only used it a few times off M-mode (Av mostly) ). Still doesn't have a pop up flash, but with ISO 25,600 (51,200 extended) does not really NEED one.
I used to joke that I got took, because my 1Ds series camera didn't have the green easy button or the popup flash and didn't do video, plus it is this big thing, obviously something not worth stealing. Photographers didn't buy that line, but I got some non-photographers to. Only one place I have ever been were there was some concern my camera might be swiped , in which case, the neck strap was over my head, but I still kept my hand in the hand strap, so any would be thief would have to cut two straps before they could take the camera. Plus I had insurance on the camera and some of the lenses.