• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mirid

Paul Iddon

Mirid bugs are common wherever there is an abundant food source. Some mirid species prey exclusively on soft-bodied invertebrates, while others also feed on plant sap if they have depleted prey numbers, causing distorted leaf growth and leaving puncture marks in fruits. (Source)

These were on a bedding plant close to the apple tree - the tree is where I usually find the miridae, so not really sure why this one was down there...

I can't say whether this one is carnivorous or not, but it seemed interested in an aphid.

mirid00_4k_1800-X3.jpg

mirid02_4k_1800-X3.jpg

mirid01-Edit_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

Is it simply draining the juices out of the aphid or ripping it apart?

Do they inject enzymes first?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have been reading as I always do when I get taught sonething new and fascinating by pictures here!

Interesting that there are 10,000 known species of Mirid insects and many more to be catalogued.

Paul, do your seem to fly or they are strictly terrestrial. They have wings, for sure but no oculi which flying insects seem to always have!

Asher

Paul Iddon

I saw more this morning Asher. Yes, they fly - the first one I saw today went from the rose flower to the fuchsia shrub.

Here is a crop of the working end to show that amazing proboscis...

mirid01-Edit-crop_tighter_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Paul Iddon

There is way too much for a mere mortal on his own to know. The combined minds of a thousand would likely not even have enough knowledge to know it all.

I'm happy in my ignorance and the discovery that follows...

Paul.