• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Moon landing

Jerome Marot

No knitting here, no art, mainly engineer stuff. But: photographs and maybe an important turn in history:

n607773.jpg

n607772.jpg

Source: China national space administration

Cem_Usakligil

So did they also hire Stanley Kubrick (post mortem) and his team? ;)
Why are the blacks/whites clipped? Didn't they have the budget for a decent sensor camera?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's fortunate that the Chinese found this particular landing site. It has interesting terrain which will allow is to learn more about the make up the geology of the surface.

Good thing too that there's such a difficult and prestigious pastime for competitive giants like India and China to show off their prowess by competing in space exploits instead of duking it out on planet earth.

Asher

fahim mohammed

A story of sorts; astronomy and astrophysics..Paraphrased from a book of stories:

" The sun on that day was 15 degrees in Taurus and the spectacle in the 15th degree of Scorpio. This spectacle was a large circular body, 2.5 to 3 times as large as Venus. The sky was shining because of its light. The intensity of its light was a little more than a quarter of that of moonlight. It remained where it was and it moved daily with its zodiacal sign until the sun was in sextile with it in Virgo, when it disappeared at once. "

Many observers around the world observed this sight. Only one observer made detail notes of it to be used a millennium later. Scientists in a place much much later to be called the U.S of A shall use these recordings made a more than a thousand years ago to locate the remnants of Supernova 1006.

Why 1006? That was when it was recorded by Ibn Ridwan at al-Azhar university in Cairo.

Supernova 1006, is 7000 LY from us. Its interior plasmas still burning at 1 million degrees C.

Unfortunate they did not have digital sensors with enough DR and capabilities to record this event then.

The human mind however substituted for it. Ibn Ridwan was 18 years at that time. He shall leave astronomy and become one of Al-Azhar's greatest Physicians.

Asher Kelman

Why 1006? That was when it was recorded by Ibn Ridwan at al-Azhar university in Cairo.

Supernova 1006, is 7000 LY from us. Its interior plasmas still burning at 1 million degrees C.

Unfortunate they did not have digital sensors with enough DR and capabilities to record this event then.

The human mind however substituted for it. Ibn Ridwan was 18 years at that time. He shall leave astronomy and become one of Al-Azhar's greatest Physicians.

Fahim,

The human mind is really a miracle and so underused. There are few so astute and capable of focus and follow through as Ibn Ridwan, Shakespeare, Einstein or Mandela. But most humans do not use their god-given gifts.

At least we need to inspire our children to reach for the stars, nothing less! A few will make it, that's all we need and carry the rest of us with them!

Asher

Chris Heilman

No knitting here, no art, mainly engineer stuff. But: photographs and maybe an important turn in history:

I think it's very cool that China has gone in this direction. We were there in the early 1960s, set a goal and stopped as soon as we reached that goal. The news is abuz about how the Chinese are putting a military base on the moon. Prom a gold lamé lander on the surface is a far piece from there, or even walking a few guys with Hasselblads around. I say kudos to China, and welcome to the space age!

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

I made the error of hoping that the success of the Chinese might lead to equal advances in inter human relationships so we'd have peace. That lead to an acrimonious discussion and insults. All have been removed.

Personal insults are simply deleted. Tom's remarks implied poor motives in my photographing actors. That's out of place, unacceptable and the reason for the edit. As you know it's a rare thing to have any comments ever removed, but it's simply out of place and against the TOS to post personal comments derogatory to anyone's character. We made that rule at the onset of OPF and it still stands today. I hope this ends the matter.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Theres' more good news from the Chinese moon rover on a once site here

20131223_yutu.png

The Chang'e 3 lander took this photo of the rover Yutu on December 22, 2013. The rover had completed a semicircular tour of the lander and was departing the lander due south. This version of the image has been white-balanced and color-corrected.
CNSA / Gordan Ugarkovic

"Ten pictures have been taken at five spots so far, and all of them are better than we expected. The rover has moved in a semi-circle around the lander. Afterwards, they will begin to conduct scientific explorations of the geography and geomorphology of the landing spot and nearby areas, and materials like minerals and elements there. We will also explore areas 30 meters and 100 meters beneath the lunar soil [This refers to the ground-penetrating radar instrument --ESL]. The exploration will continue longer than we planned, because all the instruments and equipments are working very well."

"That's good news! This story from chinanews.com adds to that, stating that the rover's arm has safely been deployed for the first time. The mission is hurrying to complete checkouts of the rover systems before night begins to fall and the rover has to hibernate for two weeks, beginning December 26."

I do like the rover's name "Yutu" as it plays on the Star Wars names for robots, R2-D2 and C-3PO, and the idea that China is now in the game, "me too"

Asher Kelman

Don,

I really would love to know how the Chinese got the name Yutu!! Do the guyed there really have a great sense of humor or does coincidence just make jokes with us? Actually they might have got the name from Desmond Tutu!

I've seen no other discussion on the name yet! However, there's a legend to be understood on the origin of Yutu!

Asher