• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Moved & Retitled: Pictures with kids of various skin color. What point does it make?

Charlotte Thompson

Moved & Retitled: Pictures with kids of various skin color. What point does it make?

I have always loved each soul and believed we could be brought together and finally the cosmos is evolving into that love- just my admiration for America and President Obama- finally!

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some nice pictures. To bad that oboma being in office will bring about the "fabled" racial war to this world. Each of the races will be pitted against one another to survive. It really is a shame! All the races should work together in harmany for the greater good. But I dont honestly see it happening in this world.

(sorry if this is contraversal but it is the truth of the world we live in)

Cute kids to btw
Again nice pictures in my amature opinion

Maybe I am slow but I just do not get this at all. I am not understanding the photos or what you are trying to show through them. Body parts are cropped off...the little girl on the left is obviously in some kind of painful situation...is this a tongue in cheek post that I just don't understand? And, Bull, your response is even more difficult to understand. Do you really believe that? I feel like I am in a dream and I know it yet I just can't quite wake myself up. Somebody slap me.
James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Those are some nice pictures. To bad that oboma being in office will bring about the "fabled" racial war to this world. Each of the races will be pitted against one another to survive. It really is a shame! All the races should work together in harmany for the greater good. But I dont honestly see it happening in this world.

(sorry if this is contraversal but it is the truth of the world we live in)

Cute kids to btw
Again nice pictures in my amature opinion
Aaron,

The term races is old fashioned. We have electricity grids and products we all contribute towards and racial ideas are really outdated. People just have to get with the program. What we see as "racial differences" are just monor and hardly relevent local adaptations like who has red hair or frckles, might be considered a differnet racial type if one wished.

There is no race war. There will be no race war. Just folk have to catch up. The issue is not race, it's whether man is just out grown his capability to live alongside the knowledge he has accumulated. We're too powerful and accomplished for our own survival.

If this thread does not have a basis in photography, I'll remove it. I do not see much aritistic strength in the photography here to have any relevance to discussion on Obama.

I don't see kids of "different races". I see some kids but not a greatly composed picture. I could care less that the color of the skin may be different. The form of the picture does not meet any worthy standard. Races is not a scientific term. I'm fed up with us getting into pseudo arguments.

If there are no substantial photographs here then this thread will vanish!

Part of what I warned for 2009!

Asher

Last edited:

Rachel Foster

\rant on

Ok, my only post on this topic (on this thread, anyway).

Life is what we make it, to a large extent. Want to see harmony? If you expect to find it, you'll see more of it. Want to see a race war? Look for it and you'll see signs of it everywhere. This doesn't mean that we can wish the world into being what we want it to. It does mean we're more likely to find evidence of what we're looking to find.

\rant off

Ok maybe my post is being seen the wrong way from what I see here in this series is the harmony of 4 children inoccent and unknowing of what the world truly deeply is.

as to race I did not intend this to be me confronting any nationality or racial background what my comment was about is how so many groups hate eachother based solely on thier skin color thier religous views. Ther is war all around us based on skin colour or religion or political view ( look at the news). And furthermore some of us wish for harmony all religions races and political view working together for the beterment of human kind. Which would be in the best intrest of this world. in this picture I see that hope or want with the children of obviously different backgrounds and more of an assumtion of religous backgrounds. ( just my take at picking apart the reasoning and passion of this piece of photography.

Sorry if I have offended anyone with this but it is what my eyes see in this series.

And Asher I agree with you on that such idealolgy of race being outdated but it is still a fact in the reality of this world and yes as a whole people do need to grow up and get past that. Also please not i called it the "fabeled" race war meaning I think it is not a sound fortelling. altho it is apperant with such things like the isreal palistin war that is on right now.

Last edited:

Rachel Foster

Thanks for clarifying, Bull. It's true that there is too much hatred on very superficial grounds. I would love to see us all go back to the innocence of childhood with respect to accepting people regardless of group membership.

Charlotte Thompson

The point is simple

"one People" "One Nation"

this was a qucik shot last night with some beautiful children of different backgrounds/race
they were playing with letting ballons rise into the sky- the little girl crying accidently lost the ballon she wanted to save/it was too priceless not to take these spontaneous captures
they seemed to "be each other" without regard to adult ideas -
for me
it's about love of each spirit" real humanity-how we truly belong to "each other"
and
Asher no the picture isn't perfect in crop
that wasn't the intention

the intention is to understand our humanity" to look at what it is
and what it is evolving into- to show obvious compassion
also Asher- "why would you use your power to vanish this thread? is this not worthy or are you biased? just a thought Oh btw why did you retitle my work?

Charlotte-

Ken Tanaka

pro member
May I be honest here, Charlotte?

I understand your homey sentiment. But these are simply dreadful, carelessly captured snapshots symbolic of absolutely nothing other than poor photographic technique.

That's my honest opinion.

Bill Miller

Ken

it is what I wanted to say in the photo
you have the right to agree or disagree for sure!

Charlotte-

Charlotte,

I have to agree with Ken, these photos are nothing more than a poor snapshot. They do not reflect any photographic skill. Keep in mind this is a photography forum, therefore it would seem that you would want to display your concept with quality. This is not quality. You could use your concept and produce a excellent photo.

Charlotte Thompson

Bill
The orginal forum was digital and was moved here-the shot may not be a prize not every shot will be
I happen to like its reality/sort of reminds me of my childhood in many ways
also when I entered this in the digital forum I didnt ask for a crit or question- it was meant to be seen as a capture of our changing times albeit Obama- I couldn't have realized this would cause such a bru haha-its simplicity in nature for me is good enough may be too Rockwell for some more or less however I like this work and if others don't care for it that's good as well that is our America isn't it?

Charlotte-

Cem_Usakligil

OPF policy on political discussions

Recently, Asher, Nicolas and I have had long discussions regarding the policy of allowing posts to be made with a political message or not. The not yet in concrete set decision is that we are going to allow such posts only when they are directly related to photography.

In this particular case, I cannot see any photographical reason to allow this discussion to take place. So I am now locking this thread until Asher decides whether to keep it or not.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlotte,

This was your post, under the approximate title, "Thank you Obama!", except you'll note that the pictures are now 400 pixels wide, enough to show everything in the pictures and not overload bandwidth without a reason:

I have always loved each soul and believed we could be brought together and finally the cosmos is evolving into that love- just my admiration for America and President Obama- finally!

DSC_0339.jpg
DSC_0344.jpg

My critique: The idea that kids of different colors playing together is unusual or anything to do with Obama baffles me. Young kids always do this until they are taught otherwise and in the USA, this is so common as to be ordinary. The idea of some connection to President Elect Obama, is too important and controversial an issue, (maybe worthy of a great discussion) to be connected with these natural and fine moments you have recorded. Photographers can present their pictures and comments, but all pictures can be moved to the best place we see fit. We can change titles to reflect the subject if the thread is not labeled for the subject it claims to introduce. Once you have made the connection with Obama, it's political and controversial and then it belongs in a different section and a new title is needed! Had you kept this a casual fun observation, no change would have been made.

As proof that we were on a political path: Look again at the evoked response referring to a possible impending "race war". If we are going to enter this realm, which we are open to do at our peril, the pictures better be so impressive that it's worth the pain!

The Cost to OPF: Understand that for each such thread, the moderators get bombarded with demands for people to be "banned" and all this is a wasteful use of moderators time. Give us an outstanding set of images and we'll gladly pay the price in this case.

So what's the "right thing" to do, here in OPF? Leaving out grand associations and political banners, had you posted the same images, with your explanation, thus in "Layback Café:

DSC_0339.jpg
DSC_0344.jpg

"this was a quick shot last night with some beautiful children of different backgrounds/race. They were playing with letting ballons rise into the sky- the little girl crying accidently lost the ballon she wanted to save/it was too priceless not to take these spontaneous captures they seemed to "be each other" without regard to adult ideas - for me it's about love of each spirit" real humanity-how we truly belong to "each other"

it would have been fine. Your title, "one People" "One Nation" is a stretch but O.K.

Creating Political Statements: Racial harmony is something no one here needs to be lectured on. However, we'd love to celebrate with a great photograph! That's always welcome. Obama? It's nothing to do with him? He is President of the USA. For sure it's about time someone of a different origin is elected President, but race is now not relevant unless he shows bias. I did not vote for him but now he's my President. You chose to create a major political statement that bolsters and adds "importance" to your snapshots. That was the unacceptable step. You now had moved from casual fun to a serious topic. You know people harbor strong views here. In that light, the pictures fall short. Why? Take a snap of Hilary at a function, it's fun. Present it as if it's news photography, you are now asking for major demands in quality. The standard set for such work is exceptional! If you wish to show pictures of iconic subjects, then know what waters you are swimming in. As a casual shot, we get it without fanfare. Your title is viewed as pretentious. Add to that politics and the snapshots become a source for a load of mail to us which sucks up time like a black hole. When the photography is really inspiring, it's all worthwhile. That's what we're here for.

If you want to show a picture of kids of different color, as a social or political statement, that's often welcome, really (as long as there is not physical danger to anyone or threat or scapegoating and/or over-simplistic). Still, we'd want photography not a snapshot.

Look here for what is done well.

If we are going to go for major social and political statements, the photography has to be much, much more than an ordinary snapshot. We don't need teaching about racial manners but we are impressed with great presentation.

Charlotte Thompson said:
..........and Asher no the picture isn't perfect in crop that wasn't the intention the intention is to understand our humanity" to look at what it is and what it is evolving into- to show obvious compassion also Asher- "why would you use your power to vanish this thread? is this not worthy or are you biased? just a thought Oh btw why did you retitle my work?
-
Charlotte,

We have been very open and kind to you beyond any normal allowance. If you do not see this, there's little for me to say. Why "use my power"? I do not have power that is not loaned to me by the wishes of the community. The forum has to have balance. We cater to professionals as well as amateurs. We have to clearly demand high standards for professional subjects. If you want to get into the areas of professional photography, then the work better be on that path of quality, at the very least.

We do not delete in any case, we store and can always restore should the circumstances change because of new photography.

You may like to reply in support of what OPF is trying to accomplish. I'm not trying to put your work down just contain it in a reasonable form. We need your support in this. OPF is about building a community and there must be clear delineation between casual and serious photography. As pointed out previously, for 2009 we have little tolerance of political discussion unaccompanied by exceptional pictures.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

I have talked to in private messages about this-
I no longer think we need to continue with any more replies from me on the matter
my voice and photo are the same as you know in our conversation-
"On the eve of the inauguration we should stand as one people and one nation"
it's about Hope and every ones right of expression"

Charlotte-