• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Multiple Musician Images

Steven Sinski

as of late i have been invited to shoot some musical talent for a few venues. i used them as exercise but i'm really liking it. sort of reminds me of the old days

71191004.VuOpAh6P.jpg

Vienna Teng (its amazing what Stanford can produce)

73999607.2YnZiRVE.jpg

XueFei Yang- Classical Guitarist (and thats an understatement)

78026056.22KfG7wG.jpg

Glenn Alexander w/The Mahavishnu Project

these were all shot at high ISO as in 1600-3200

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
as of late i have been invited to shoot some musical talent for a few venues i used them as exercise but i'm really liking it

Vienna Teng
71191004.VuOpAh6P.jpg

Steven,

This is simple portrait. She reminds me a little of Joan Baez.

XueFei Yang

73999607.2YnZiRVE.jpg

This picture is extraordinary.

She holds the guitar like a rosarie, as if it's holy. The composition with a series of triangles about the hands works well. I like the rendition of her hands, her left, so decisive and firm, her right folded gently over the strings . The involvement of her head, looking down and introspective, stengthens her intent. The sleeve falling over the instrument provides a mood reminding us of the billowing fabric of Spanish dancers. I'd try to achieve more of this look from the left sleeve too. The hands to me are so perfect so I'd not want to do anything globally to this image.

You might perhaps consider darkening at least the top left corner and maybe the others to some extent too, making the center more important.

Steven,

All these musicians look so interesting. I hope you keep photographing them as they are sensitive subjects especially XueFei Yang, the classical guitarist.

BTW, Where was the shoot and what is "The Mahavishnu Project"?

Good work!

Asher

Steven Sinski

thanks

all three here are incredible musicians along with many others that i will be shooting. i'm getting togeter a fall line up.

if you are familiar with Chinese Cinema XFY did some of the music for "Raise the Red Lantern"

Vienna Teng is a folk artist from N California. quite popular with the HK MTV set. Califirnia born and bred.

Glenn Alexander is a Jazz/Blues Guitarest. Kansas bred. Hanging in Jersey and NYC. he has quite a history.

this will answer your question on the Mahavishnu project
www.mahavishnuproject.com

www.viennateng.com
www.glennalexander.com
www.xuefeiyang.com

the XFY images were shot at a small concert she did for some friends in NJ. she was playing in NYC a few days later. she asked me after why i took so many images of her. you answered it perfectly.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Steve,

I wish you could also have a link to their music. Then we can expand our experience. Maybe this could in itself spark creativity. One thing we'd like also is to connect: photography to be inspired by music we get introduced to!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Angelica,

I can see all the images! Sometimes the middle one is slow to load, that's all!

Steven,

... and the music? I am listening now to Vienna!

Asher