• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Music Enthusiast from NY

Keith Kiiroja

I think that my name may have been thrown around here a bit in the past few days...so, I took it upon myself to come and check the forum out and I like what I read and what I see. I have been through the entire forum and see that there is still a lot that one can learn about photography. I already know that there are many things I can educate myself on.

I will start this off by telling you that I am a professional music photographer and do nothing else. I never thought it would pay the bills but a proper attitude and representation of one's self professionally can really set the bar for you and other photographers in your profession, regardless if they are more skilled or have better equipment than you. I get by with the following...

Canon 30d
Canon Speedlite 580ex
Really Right Stuff Custom Flash Bracket
Calumet Traveller 5000G Strobes
Sigma Lenses

I am really not that great at photoshop which is one of the main reasons i have decided to join this forum.

Below is a small sample of my work, I hope you all enjoy it...if you listen to Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven I recommend passing on listening to some of the music I will be providing links for...

SOME PROMOTIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY:

HAWTHORNE HEIGHTS - www.myspace.com/hawthorneheights
HawthorneHeights2006.jpg

THE PRESS - www.myspace.com/thepress
ThePress2007a.jpg

DR. ACULA - www.myspace.com/dapartygrind
DrAcula2006.jpg

BLAMESHIFT - www.myspace.com/blameshift
Blameshift2007.jpg

This is only some of my work...in the past 7 years I have photographed over 900 bands and I am still going strong. My work has been published on many occassions in some very respected magazines. The names of those magazines will be listed in my signature. If you would like to check out some more of my work it can be found at www.unkphoto.com

C & C is welcome...
Thank You...
Keith Kiiroja

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Pictures look pretty damn good to me Keith!

The facts that you have 900 bands under your belt already and are modest to boot speaks to your hard work, perservence and deserved success. Your edgy style works well.

I do disagree with the comment on the dead Germans, "if you listen to Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven I recommend passing on listening to some of the music I will be providing links for..." as many of the classical musicians I know also have pretty wild tastes in modern fringe music.

When they want to escape and have fun and dance, what better way than the experiental music of the many creative goups popping up everywhere. They need it too!

I by the way, not for choice, listen to a lot of the new groups music almost every night!

Only thing, I wish people would return to understandable prounciation. I is now "aahi". Often one needs the printed words to understand what on earth is being said! Well, I'm just older, I guess and have to work harder.

Asher

Last edited:

Keith Kiiroja

Asher,
thank you so much for the kind words. it really means a lot to see someone as respected as you come forward and compliment my work. i do work very hard at what i do and i hope to become even more accomplished.
Thank You Kindly...
Keith

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,
thank you so much for the kind words. it really means a lot to see someone as respected as you come forward and compliment my work. i do work very hard at what i do and i hope to become even more accomplished.
Thank You Kindly...
Keith

Keith, just to let you know I claim to be no "guru"! I'd rather call myself the "unguru". That way I can give my opinions freely and I'm not bound to some cloak of expertese that I have wrapped around myself. I am limited by my own skills knowlege, insight and expertese. Imagination I have no shortage of. Great ideas are just ten a penny; but it's the execution that's the challenge.

Here, I learn every day myself. I cannot be anywhere as good as any of the people who have excelled and risen to the top of their own dedicated work. However, I like to do enough to, at least, understand and feel some of the difficulties of each journey.

If I can excel in my own artwork then I'm happy.

Still, I appreciate that you have found us and will help to make Music Photography a thriving room here! So look it over and see if antything comes to mind with Vanessa's work or show how you match a photograph to a song. Just need to have it streamed or else free or inexpensive to buy the particular one song!

Asher

Last edited:

Keith Kiiroja

I am simply stating that after all that I have read it seems as if you are well respected in this neck of the woods...and that is why I thank you so.
Keith

KrisCarnmarker

Welcome Keith! Congratulations on your success! I've heard its quite difficult to get your name into this business so it must have taken a lot of hard work.

I welcome this new forum very much. I'm a regular here at OPF and I love photography, but my first and biggest passion is and will always be music. I've played and listened (actively) to music since I was a little boy; my mother played the piano every day; my father played his old 78s of Armstrong, etc. It's in my blood :)

I have two subjects that could serve as new threads, or just in this thread. Both on the business side of things.

We all know that celebs can be, and often are, hard subjects for a photographer because of attitudes, lack of time or whatever. In my experience from playing (or trying to anyway) in numerous rock bands in my youth, rock musicians are a real PITA. I swear I've never seen such egos anywhere else. How do you deal with it? How do you get a 17 year old "punk" to listen to you? I'm just curious how they take to direction, etc. I may be answering my own question, but I found the only thing that surpasses their egos is their vanity :) So they would like to look as good as possible on film. That must help.

The other thing that's on my mind is whether the internet has changed the way these new bands market themselves and also if this opens up a whole new market for up and coming photographers. I notices that every single band you posted pics of has a myspace page. In the old days, the only artwork an up and coming band would have would be posters of their concerts, usually sketched by a friend or something. Nowadays, everyone needs a myspace page with professional looking photos. Obviously this means more photographers are needed. Would you agree?

Once again, welcome Keith!

/Kris

P.S. Oh, I agree with Asher on his disagreement with the dead Germans :) How can anybody not love the music of those three dead Germans :)

Keith Kiiroja

Welcome Keith! Congratulations on your success! I've heard its quite difficult to get your name into this business so it must have taken a lot of hard work.

I welcome this new forum very much. I'm a regular here at OPF and I love photography, but my first and biggest passion is and will always be music. I've played and listened (actively) to music since I was a little boy; my mother played the piano every day; my father played his old 78s of Armstrong, etc. It's in my blood :)

I have two subjects that could serve as new threads, or just in this thread. Both on the business side of things.

We all know that celebs can be, and often are, hard subjects for a photographer because of attitudes, lack of time or whatever. In my experience from playing (or trying to anyway) in numerous rock bands in my youth, rock musicians are a real PITA. I swear I've never seen such egos anywhere else. How do you deal with it? How do you get a 17 year old "punk" to listen to you? I'm just curious how they take to direction, etc. I may be answering my own question, but I found the only thing that surpasses their egos is their vanity :) So they would like to look as good as possible on film. That must help.

The other thing that's on my mind is whether the internet has changed the way these new bands market themselves and also if this opens up a whole new market for up and coming photographers. I notices that every single band you posted pics of has a myspace page. In the old days, the only artwork an up and coming band would have would be posters of their concerts, usually sketched by a friend or something. Nowadays, everyone needs a myspace page with professional looking photos. Obviously this means more photographers are needed. Would you agree?

Once again, welcome Keith!

/Kris

P.S. Oh, I agree with Asher on his disagreement with the dead Germans :) How can anybody not love the music of those three dead Germans :)

Kris,
Thank you for welcoming me to OPF. I just want everyone to know right off the bat...my fiance [also a member to OPF, is young...being only 21...I am not so young...I am 31 just so all of you know] I am not saying that age is any relevance here...but, when you are dealing with youth it tends to give you the upper hand and they respect you a ton more.

So, I can tell you Kris, it is at times difficult...but, believe it or not...it is not the younger ones that I have trouble with. The younger ones have not been around the block...this is a new thing for them so it is exciting...when it is a band that has been around they work with many people and it gets boring...a very good example is the photos above...the youngest band is Dr. Acula...with members being from 16-21...all others are all older then 25. Do you see the difference. Hawthorne Heights is a nationwide multi million selling artist on a big label...I had a half hour to shoot that. I had a full day with Dr. Acula. A big difference indeed. That does not mean that one can not produce results in such short time with those not willing...it means, you will get what you get.

MySpace has been god to me...sorry to make such a bold statement but I really started making my money when that website showed it's face. So, thank you MySpace. So, Kris, I agree...110%.

Thanks for the questions...I LOVE OPF.
Keith