• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My life with photography.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
PART 2

B3BE905C-DBB1-407E-B2C5-F50D62654C17.jpeg

Tom dinning

Registrant*
How the geometry juts out at me
Defying the curvature naturally bound to it
Cutting it edge thought shimmering surfaces
Locked in compassion lost in search of it.

E8EF19DB-59FE-4240-B3A1-758C4449F096.jpeg

Tom dinning

Registrant*
If I take enough photographs
Or look at as many, or more
I am bound to be influenced by some
If not many, or more than that.
Not all are grand in the scheme of things
Like salt on a wound
The effect might be minor, more irritating than not.
No lives changed, no rebellion quelled
No sight from space
To know all is well.
Just a dabble in the pond
Fingers damp, ripple made
The water rises and returns
With just a fleeting memory
Where have I seen that before.
Such images are the snowflakes of our daily lives.
Each newly shaped to be placed
In sight, then melt away.
And how are we different from such an encounter?
A second older, a little the wiser if we chose.
We let the image know who we are
Knowing the next is not that far.

363D2C2F-4ED3-44D9-93DB-D2C3A4BFC8AF.jpeg

Tom dinning

Registrant*
My mother gave me some firm advice before eating.
“Tommy, never discuss sex, politics, and religion at the dinner table.
Someone will always be offended”
I could never figure out why
They can’t be offended by something I said.
I’m always right.
It must be them.
A photograph is always right.
Just because it is.
I thought I was safe if I showed some pictures.

CHURCH
B4FEFEA6-E755-4C2E-98F0-1F4770530F42.jpeg

Tom dinning

Registrant*
When does a photo become yours
To describe, to read the story posed
To guess what the artist throws
What no-one else will know
When the photo is complete
A title written neat
A frame to make complete
We give it as a gift
From which to learn, to admire, to keep, as yours.
Then the story will unfold
Not mine, just yours, new, fresh
Not mine I say but I can’t take it back
Some moment in the exchange
The contents of the frame
Take on a new persona, a different bias,
The product of a different history seeped in as much mystery
And now I’m the observer of a new tale
Fascinated as I am, there is some regret
The product of my craft is his to recreate.

6E899B16-7FC4-4E8D-8D35-1315E0541A71.jpeg

fahim mohammed

The title ‘ life with photography ‘.

Tom, if that life is what little I know of you, then I suggest it is time for you to try something else.

fahim mohammed

Life itself is ambiguous. Images, with some ambiguity, I prefer. Such as some of the images you post.
Death is the only certainty.

So it is, as you say, with my statement. Ambiguous with only probabilities.
Just as life.

Stay well.

Please explain.
Your statement is ambiguous.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Life itself is ambiguous. Images, with some ambiguity, I prefer. Such as some of the images you post.
Death is the only certainty.

So it is, as you say, with my statement. Ambiguous with only probabilities.
Just as life.

Stay well.
That’s as evasive a response as I could imagine from you Fahim.

Ambiguity is a reserve of the shy or devious.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That’s as evasive a response as I could imagine from you Fahim.

Ambiguity is a reserve of the shy or devious.
Tom,

It sounds poetic as a nice turn of words but is it universally true, or even mostly so?

Not necessarily so!

I would proffer that ambiguity is also part of the reasons we wear clothes have manners, and are courteous. We don’t want all our thoughts, interests and whims to be immediately obvious and force adversaries into conflict with us right now!

Ambiguity allows discourse, today, (even with incompatible people, we might stab tomorrow), as no one is clearly embarrassed, dismissed, put down or humiliated at this time.

That way, we reserve the power to strike, forgive or be simply tolerant of differences!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

It sounds poetic as a nice turn of words but is it universally true, or even mostly so?

Not necessarily so!

I would proffer that ambiguity is also part of the reasons we wear clothes have manners, and are courteous. We don’t want all our thoughts, interests and whims to be immediately obvious and force adversaries into conflict with us right now!

Ambiguity allows discourse, today, (even with incompatible people, we might stab tomorrow), as no one is clearly embarrassed, dismissed, put down or humiliated at this time.

That way, we reserve the power to strike, forgive or be simply tolerant of differences!

Asher

I nearly choked on my muesli.

Did you get this from a self help book?

You’re preaching, Ash.
Don’t answer for him. He doesn’t need your protection and I don’t need your so called bipartisan bullshit.
You’ve got an excuse for everything. You protect your mates.

Get out of my face

Asher Kelman

Fahim doesn’t need my help and I wasn’t giving it. He has to look after himself.,

If you choke on your Muesli, whatever fancy hoy ploy stuff you eat, then slow down and focus on the spoon coming into your mouth!

I am never bipartisan, but clearly judgmental on myself and others. I would do well to hide behind ambiguity myself, as it’s a good tool of civilization.

Right now, the US government is searching for some ambiguity so as not to have to attack Iran in revenge for blowing up tankers and downing a 200 million dollar US drone!

I agree it was utterly unneeded for me to comment here, I could have let it pass. However, I felt that there’s a value to “ambiguity” and that’s my point, plain and simple. My insertion here was simply to stress that point. Note, I am not involved in any argument you may have, just objected to your seemingly broad dismissal of “ambiguity”, itself arguably, a great calming facet of human nature!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher is correct. I can take care of myself. I thank The Lord for it.
And Tom, I have done it pretty well too. Have taken care of myself, my family. All with God’s help, and my parent’s prayers.
How about you?

Guess missing your meds seriously affects your ability to read and comprehend. By the way Tom, should it be ‘ affects or effects ‘ ?

I had previously agreed with you that, yes I am shy and devious. Also added that I am a sob.

Now teacher, tell which part of the previous sentence ( in English ) don’t you understand.

Tom, are you bilingual?

Jerome Marot

The pictures are nice. But I am not going to enter a discussion about the meaning of life or about the meaning of social interactions. It is clear to me that Tom has his own ideas on these subjects, as we all have. These ideas have been formed over a lifetime of experience. They may be right or they may be wrong, that is not relevant here. We all have lived a different life and therefore, we all have been forming very different experiences in those years. I'll just look at the pictures and consider them windows into Tom's particular experiences. Just as I look at other's members pictures and consider them windows into their particular experiences. The pictures are different as the experiences have been different.

Asher Kelman

“ .......These ideas have been formed over a lifetime of experience. They may be right or they may be wrong, that is not relevant here. We all have lived a different life and therefore, we all have been forming very different experiences in those years.....”

Jerome,

Thanks for that succinct thought!

I remember from Kilburn Grammar School, (high school), assembly in the U.K., a selected honored student would eloquently read an apt portion from the King James Bible.

At the close, he would pause and declare, “Here endeth the lesson!”

Thanks Jerome, you put it very well, too.

Asher

@ All the rest of us: please follow Jérôme’s writings as Gospel too:

let’s limit discussion of such posts to the nature of the pictures and avoid hints of personal bias, animus or parsing intent as was done here!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
The pictures are nice. But I am not going to enter a discussion about the meaning of life or about the meaning of social interactions. It is clear to me that Tom has his own ideas on these subjects, as we all have. These ideas have been formed over a lifetime of experience. They may be right or they may be wrong, that is not relevant here. We all have lived a different life and therefore, we all have been forming very different experiences in those years. I'll just look at the pictures and consider them windows into Tom's particular experiences. Just as I look at other's members pictures and consider them windows into their particular experiences. The pictures are different as the experiences have been different.

Thanks, Jerome. A wiser man could not have said it better.

As with those differences are the ways we each approach our photography.
For so long now, further back than I can remember, I have not been able to distinguish my actions from my thoughts.
Photography is only one such action. They are not separate or distinguishable from my thoughts.
50 years ago I might have discussed the imagery and its characteristics only, without any bias.
Not any more.
I hope you will forgive me in continuing to express my thoughts through such actions.

Cheers
Tom

Last edited:

Peter Dexter

It is true, a photograph results from the click of a shutter and the recording of (usually) a split second in time of the visual world. And that's it.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
It is true, a photograph results from the click of a shutter and the recording of (usually) a split second in time of the visual world. And that's it.

Then why do we look at photographs into the future? Why do we rely on them for self-expression, information, description, explanation, interpretation, discussion, admiration, discourse, irony, humour, sarcasm, propaganda, ...................

Are not these the "NATURE OF THE PICTURE"?