• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My very first macro shots

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Excellent, first try or not!

How did you get so many different critters on the same day?

Do green mantis and brown mantis keep separate or can they breed?

Asher

Jiva Sztraka

Thanks.

I've been into entomology for past 8 years, so I know thing or two about where to find them. Also the sort of place I live would be big factor :p

Far North Queensland (Australia) has one of the densest population of insects in the world. I plan on finding some very rare species of beetles in upcoming days just to get some cool pictures. :p

These pictures were taken only with either the built-in flash or sunlight. No tubes, filters or any other accessories... so I imagine once I get a better flash rig, and perhaps some extension tubes/filter... I'll be able to get some cool shots.

About the mantids, it's hard to tell that early, but theres a chance the brown is male and green - female. Most likely brothers and sisters, as they were found about 1 meter apart from each other.

Will be uploading more pictures tomorrow... thanks for looking. :)

KrisCarnmarker

Hi Jiva,

Agree with Asher, well done! I especially like the "green mantis" picture. Its almost as if it stopped in its tracks to turn its head to glare at you.

I'm a bit envious of the multitude of insects available to you. Well, at least during the photo sessions. Not sure about the rest of the time :)

Mary Bull

Jiva, I love all of these shots.

You are way ahead of me in skills and in entomology education. But I'm trying to learn to shoot the little critters, and the little flora, too.

Mary