• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My wife & I went for a short 100 mile test ride on a bike I'm buying

Jim Olson

Nice day for a ride & I have the bike for a few days so why not.

N & the GL1500  E3 C3 S7 crop .jpg

We rode to Rocky Brook Falls
IMG_4541  E2 C4 S6.jpg

Just a short walk for the parking area.
IMG_4517 E6 C7 S8 crop.jpg

And there is a fire hydrant not far from the rode but just seem like a odd place for a fire hydrant.
IMG_4568  E6 C8 S9.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jim,

I am simply thrilled for your adventuresome spirit. That’s heavy, but I guess it’s a good comfortable touring bike.

E9BA1C4F-47F4-4827-8283-886AF278A25B.jpeg

Great of the folk to let you try it out! I was in IOWA and they lent me a VW vanogan caravan thing with beds. Wouldn’t even take a deposit or drivers license as security! Didn’t sign any papers as it was obvious, he said that a guy with a wife and 3 kids is earning a living and is therefore likely to be honest!

Trust is a great kind of glue in society. Great when it spreads around like that!

Asher Kelman

Jim,

The waterfall is fabulous. May I fiddle with the settings? I just love this kind of image. To me waterfalls are a huge challenge: does one include a lot to each side? Slow or maybe fast shutter speed!

I am iimpressed with B&W film shots of falls, where folk have creamy foam with a slow shutter speed.

My own custom is to get the sharp sheets and spray in the air if I can. You have done a great job and this was a pleasure to experience!

I hope you have more!

Asher

Jim Olson

Jim,

I am simply thrilled for your adventuresome spirit. That’s heavy, but I guess it’s a good comfortable touring bike.

Great of the folk to let you try it out! I was in IOWA and they lent me a VW vanogan caravan thing with beds. Wouldn’t even take a deposit or drivers license as security! Didn’t sign any papers as it was obvious, he said that a guy with a wife and 3 kids is earning a living and is therefore likely to be honest!

Trust is a great kind of glue in society. Great when it spreads around like that!

Yes, it is a heavy bike, abut a half a ton, I had one like it a few yrs ago so it's not that bad to get back into it but very comfy... It's a 6 cylinder engine, so very smooth ride.
Jim,

The waterfall is fabulous. May I fiddle with the settings? I just love this kind of image. To me waterfalls are a huge challenge: does one include a lot to each side? Slow or maybe fast shutter speed!

I am iimpressed with B&W film shots of falls, where folk have creamy foam with a slow shutter speed.

My own custom is to get the sharp sheets and spray in the air if I can. You have done a great job and this was a pleasure to experience!

I hope you have more!

Asher
Please do your magic... I would like to see what you can do with the falls. Sorry for the long delay in response, but I have been busy... Lars is here...

Asher Kelman

Please do your magic... I would like to see what you can do with the falls. Sorry for the long delay in response, but I have been busy... Lars is here...

E42436D5-E712-4A45-A03E-CF4F49AA7ED7.jpeg

Waterfalls are always a challenge in so many ways. There is so much one can justifiably include, that even framing is often hard, like choosing between children!

8D44C9CF-EADC-4A53-B39C-8E20EB51FD9F.jpeg

Your composition is excellent. I have just dealt with the curves of contrast. But mine is only an “offering” not a solution and certainly not THE one correct way it should be seen! It may be a tad too aggressive, admittedly but I did it on my IPhone.

For a print, if you send my the RAW file I can work on it in Photoshop.

Thanks for allowing me to edit!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Yes, it is a heavy bike, abut a half a ton, I had one like it a few yrs ago so it's not that bad to get back into it but very comfy... It's a 6 cylinder engine, so very smooth ride.

Jim,

Thanks for sending the RAW file. Waterfalls can be shot in so many diverse ways: from composition to shutter speed effects on the water.

Your presentation is more towards the soft milky water that is so in vogue in classic B& W photography for many decades.

E8F27CFA-B438-49A4-993E-2503348E93BC.jpeg

So your original above fits that popular idiom well.

For me I also like to reproduce what one feels: the water drips and the glistening of sharp lines of bright falling water over dark rocks, a different esthetic:

0F455995-A2A1-4506-B58E-4E956D3A51F3.jpeg

Thanks for allowing me to enjoy your unprocessed file with full freedom. It’s like you took me there on your bike too! So very generous of you and a privilege!

Asher