• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

mystery

doug anderson

2623484144_1589cdc77e_b.jpg

I'll just let people guess at this one.

I'll just let people guess at this one.

It's an image that warrants a little cloning to improve on its visual impact. BTW I have no idea what's happening there.

As a minimum I'd clone out the building in the background, and maybe the tree top next to it. Maybe even crop the bottom with trees, to lower the position of the beam (golden section), and thus give more weight to the sky. What works best, depends on the effect/emotion one tries to get across.

Bart

Cem_Usakligil

I think Doug has chosen explicitly not to crop in order to leave some visual clues in the picture for us.

In Rotterdam Zuidplein, there are two statues, one of a man and one of a woman walking on an elevated platform, just like this one. I am pretty certain that they must belong to the same artist. But I just can't find a link to them on Google ;-)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Cem
not fantastic, but just a bit arty ;-)

We' ve public works from in Basel, as well, the Hammering men, so that wasn't to complex.
For you only: they made him orange, during the Euro:

724345_w2.jpg

doug anderson

I think Doug has chosen explicitly not to crop in order to leave some visual clues in the picture for us.

In Rotterdam Zuidplein, there are two statues, one of a man and one of a woman walking on an elevated platform, just like this one. I am pretty certain that they must belong to the same artist. But I just can't find a link to them on Google ;-)

Cem: you are right. If I took out the trees and buildings, there would be no sense of height: the man could be walking three feet off the ground.

What may be the problem is that I did not include ENOUGH trees and buildings, thus the sense that those things may not belong. I'm wondering of a vertical format shot might have done the trick.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Doug

that work of Borofsky, different than some other ones, doesn't point to the sky; therefore personally I'd show the entire scene, including the road.

That might give a °overviewtype°-image, and you could add some detail-shots, showing the bar and the man, only. I don't think, can get both under the same hat...

doug anderson

Doug

that work of Borofsky, different than some other ones, doesn't point to the sky; therefore personally I'd show the entire scene, including the road.

That might give a °overviewtype°-image, and you could add some detail-shots, showing the bar and the man, only. I don't think, can get both under the same hat...

I'd have to go back and photograph it. Probably will next time I'm in Boston.

While that may be the case, by choosing the angle of view he did, he created his own vision of the artwork. IMHO, the building only distracts from the image as presented, it doesn't help the "mystery", instead it pulls the attention away from the main subject.

If the goal is merely documenting it, which would be fitting for this forum, then the image should include all available elements to allow to see the interaction between surroundings and artwork.

Bart