• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film: New Family Member.....meet Dorothy

Jim Galli

BLL_lens_1s.jpg

with ATTITUDE

12Petz2s.jpg

relaxed

Done with the 5X7 Speed Graphic last evening on some 1993 Ilford HP5 film.

Oh, her name is Dorothy because she came from Kansas. "we're not in Kansas anymore Toto........." Maybe she's got red slippers I don't know about

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
BLL_lens_1s.jpg

Jim Galli Dorothy, with ATTITUDE

12Petz2s.jpg

Jim Galli Dorothy, relaxed

I could call it "Coming" and "Going"! What model is this? 5X7 Speed Graphic last evening on some 1993 Ilford HP5 film, yes, but what lens and how developed. I should remember!

Asher

Jim Galli

Development was rather bizzarre on these. You may send the men in white coats. I used Dektol, 1 gram / 100 ml ratio, agitation for 1 minute and let it stand for 44 more minutes un-disturbed. 65 degrees F so fairly cold.

Lenses were a BLL Co. Achromatic Meniscus of about 1860 vintage for the attitude pic, and a little 12 inch f10 projection petzval for the mellow one.

Dorothy is a 1930 Model A Ford Roadster. Someone has removed the rumble seat and installed a wooden box for farm duty. Many were done in WWII because you could get more gas ration for a pickup truck. I should mention that Dorothy has almost no brakes what-so-ever, so driving her is an adventure.

Asher Kelman

Development was rather bizzarre on these. You may send the men in white coats. I used Dektol, 1 gram / 100 ml ratio, agitation for 1 minute and let it stand for 44 more minutes un-disturbed. 65 degrees F so fairly cold.

That, Jim is to bring out the shadows? Does it depend on the volume of the solution so it doesn't run out of power?

Dorothy is a 1930 Model A Ford Roadster. Someone has removed the rumble seat and installed a wooden box for farm duty. Many were done in WWII because you could get more gas ration for a pickup truck. I should mention that Dorothy has almost no brakes what-so-ever, so driving her is an adventure.
I had one from about 1933 when I was in Medical School in the U.K. It had a proper hard-top roof. I cleaned out the pistons using medical instruments! It also had no brakes! However, I had to have a driving test for a license before leaving for Zimbabwe, (then, Rhodesia), for an internship. So I had brand new ones installed for the test.

On the day of the test it was overcast with dark storm clouds. Anyway, as we drove off on the test, he told me to brake hard when he gave his special surprise signal for an "emergency stop". My test would depend on this. The signal was his clip board on the dash board. Well we were 10 miles outside town and he looked fed up and suddenly he said, let's go back and put his clipboard down on the dash. "Bang!" went his head on the windshield! He was all shook up but we stopped with just a little skidding, pretty well missing a ditch, well, almost!

"What on earth did you stop like that for! You have failed miserably! I'll drive back"

"No you won't!" I replied.

The last time I saw him he was walking back to town, no coat, utterly drenched and the next day when I sat in my seat on a 747 looking out the window at the overcast sky, I wasn't a bit guilty. Well, just a tad!

Asher

Jim Galli

That, Jim is to bring out the shadows? Does it depend on the volume of the solution so it doesn't run out of power?

I had one from about 1933 when I was in Medical School in the U.K. It had a proper hard-top roof. I cleaned out the pistons using medical instruments! It also had no brakes! However, I had to have a driving test for a license before leaving for Zimbabwe, (then, Rhodesia), for an internship. So I had brand new ones installed for the test.

On the day of the test it was overcast with dark storm clouds. Anyway, as we drove off on the test, he told me to brake hard when he gave his special surprise signal for an "emergency stop". My test would depend on this. The signal was his clip board on the dash board. Well we were 10 miles outside town and he looked fed up and suddenly he said, let's go back and put his clipboard down on the dash. "Bang!" went his head on the windshield! He was all shook up but we stopped with just a little skidding, pretty well missing a ditch, well, almost!

"What on earth did you stop like that for! You have failed miserably! I'll drive back"

"No you won't!" I replied.

The last time I saw him he was walking back to town, no coat, utterly drenched and the next day when I sat in my seat on a 747 looking out the window at the overcast sky, I wasn't a bit guilty. Well, just a tad!

Asher

Hi Asher. I love a good car story. Too bad you couldn't take the Ford to Rhodesia. They would have thought it was a Rolls Royce there.

As to the Dektol..........I invented this method quite by accident one day when I ran out of Pyro and it has now worked perfectly 2 times. I call it Dekstall. Dektol of course is the nastiest of ultra strong print/paper developers. No fool would put film in it to soak for 3/4 of an hour. What's interesting about it is the grain character is just beautiful. Think about how grainy you would expect 1993 HP5 400 ASA film to be. Here is a 35mm film area crop out of one of the 5X7 scans, scanned at 800 dpi and totally uncorrected;

35mmCrop.jpg

35mm film size grab from 5X7 neg to show grain

I could print these really large and they'd be lovely.

For the folks that think the lens is too soft...............it's a 1910 - ish petzval and done that way by choice. Remember you're only seeing less than 5% of the complete neg.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher. I love a good car story. Too bad you couldn't take the Ford to Rhodesia. They would have thought it was a Rolls Royce there.

Actually, Jim, the week I got there another physician had his e type Jaguar bent to 45 degrees by a train! How he survived I cannot fathom! To pass my driving test there, I had to give my name, state my profession, he could see I was European and that was pretty well worth 50% of the test. The next part was checking the tires to see if they were all still there and not stolen. With that, and some driving, I aced it!

As for the Dektol, my father in law would almost always use Dektol 2:1, so I guess it was very much stronger. I know some folk do dilute the developer, but your behavior is pretty far out!

As to the Dektol..........I invented this method quite by accident one day when I ran out of Pyro and it has now worked perfectly 2 times. I call it Dekstall. Dektol of course is the nastiest of ultra strong print/paper developers. No fool would put film in it to soak for 3/4 of an hour. What's interesting about it is the grain character is just beautiful. Think about how grainy you would expect 1993 HP5 400 ASA film to be. Here is a 35mm film area crop out of one of the 5X7 scans, scanned at 800 dpi and totally uncorrected;

35mmCrop.jpg

35mm film size grab from 5X7 neg to show grain

I could print these really large and they'd be lovely.

The quality of the grain is marvelous. I might try it myself.

Thanks for sharing this!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

I should mention that Dorothy has almost no brakes what-so-ever, so driving her is an adventure.

Jim, brakes are for sissy's (UK colloquialism) - all they do is use more fuel.

Dorthy is made to look lovely in your pictures, but I am concerned that your garage is full of nuclear waste!

We've had a few classics (well really old cars) over the years and even thugh we now have two entirely serviceable and reliable modern peugeots, there is still a hankering for something more 'interesting'. My wife and much better half is even more of the driver for this than I am!

Mike

Jim Galli

When I was a little fella, we had a sleigh made with two of those front bumpers for runners. Fastest sleigh around, but no brakes.

In Tonopah, we've been known to chain up the tires on the model a and pull a '50's Buick hood around upside down with riders. Old car hoods make great sleighs.

Jim, brakes are for sissy's (UK colloquialism) - all they do is use more fuel.

Dorthy is made to look lovely in your pictures, but I am concerned that your garage is full of nuclear waste!

Mike

Yes, that garage door is a little hot eh? Could be all those lenses with Thorium inside.