• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Home Studio

Alain Briot

pro member
Hello everyone,

We just completed our move from our previous home - studio to our new home - studio. It took us over a month since we did it little by little so as not to affect business. We did it mostly ourselves, with the help of workers we hired.

Our new home studio is now completely setup and decorated. We don't have a pile of boxes in the garage waiting to be opened! This is one thing we were trying to avoid at all cost. I love organization and having things sitting around waiting drives me crazy.

I have an essay on our new home studio on my site at:

http://beautiful-landscape.com/Thoughts84-Home%20Studio-1.html

I will also have an essay on our new home gallery when it is fully furnished. (the furniture for the Gallery is scheduled to be delivered Sept. 12th). I have posted some photos of the gallery on my site already even though it is not completely furnished.

I apologize for not posting or staying in touch for several months. This was due to the move. We put all our efforts into it and into running our business. I had little time for anything else. Part of the challenge was moving during the Summer, when it is 115 to 120 degrees F. Here in Phoenix! I lost 15 pounds in the process (not a bad thing) and I am in better physical condition now than when we started!

I look forward to contributing to OPF again.

Best regards,

ALain

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonsoir Alain

Good to hear the good news from you!

Yes, I do know, moving home and studio is quite a big deal when you do almost all of it by yourself…

Undoubtly you have a very good "tool" now, hence an even better organization for your business…

I can bet that all OPFers wish you the best with this new combo and are all waiting for you to be back in OPF for your usefull, creative and effective contributions.

Welcome back!

Rhys Sage

pro member
Neat. Reminds me of that TV series Vegas where the guy parked his car in his lounge!

While I like the idea of business and accommodation being close together - it's actually traditional in Britain for the small shopkeeper to live in the rooms above his shop and for the rest of the downstairs to be storage - security is one thing that does concern me.

Studios seem to be big targets for burglary - despite the fact that in a decent studio there's little of any interest or value for thieves. Sure - there's lighting but it's not as expensive as people think (if you buy well). The light stands and props are of negligible value. The only lens needed in a studio is usually 90mm and only one body is strictly necessary (for portraits). Thus, as the studio seems a target, it seems an idea to live away from it. On the other hand a permanent on site presence might be a deterrent.

Alain Briot

pro member
Studios seem to be big targets for burglary

Could be. I think it depends a lot on where you live. We are in a gated community, with affluent neighbors and our home features a comprehensive security system, so I don't think there's much risk at all :) Nevertheless, it is something to keep in mind.

ALain

Last edited:

Alain Briot

pro member
Bonsoir Alain

Good to hear the good news from you!

Yes, I do know, moving home and studio is quite a big deal when you do almost all of it by yourself…

Undoubtly you have a very good "tool" now, hence an even better organization for your business…

I can bet that all OPFers wish you the best with this new combo and are all waiting for you to be back in OPF for your usefull, creative and effective contributions.

Welcome back!

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for your good wishes. Natalie and I very much appreciate it. You are welcome to visit us here if your travels take you to Arizona :)

Alain

Rhys Sage

pro member
Could be. I think it depends a lot on where you live. We are in a gated community, with affluent neighbors and our home features a comprehensive security system, so I don't think there's much risk at all :) Nevertheless, it is something to keep in mind.

ALain

Gated communities are the way to go, it seems. Reminds me of the Middle Ages where each little town had a wall around it to keep the bandits out. It's probably why just about every household in the US has a gun in the house.

Rhys Sage

pro member
No, it's because gun manufacturers are great marketers ;-)

I liked the slogun that the gun was the great equaliser. It's so true - no matter how big or bad the bad guys are, if the good guys have guns then the bad guys don't have any advantage and usually the bad guys wander off, looking for easier pickings.

Alain Briot

pro member
The furniture for the gallery was delivered and installed today. I will be taking photographs of the furnished gallery this afternoon and I will have the second essay in this series available by tomorrow or early next week. Part 1 is this essay -Home studio- part two is about the Home Gallery.

Rhys Sage

pro member
The furniture for the gallery was delivered and installed today. I will be taking photographs of the furnished gallery this afternoon and I will have the second essay in this series available by tomorrow or early next week. Part 1 is this essay -Home studio- part two is about the Home Gallery.

Sounds good. I await this with eager anticipation.