• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New To LF Journal 1: gear acquisition

Erik DeBill

When I posted elsewhere that I was going to be entering into the world of Large Format after being exclusively small format digital, Asher asked me to write about my experiences here. I'm going to be trying to do that, and I'll try and mark the threads with similar titles so everyone can ignore me when they realize I'm a boring writer :)

First, my background: I started with a Kodak Instamatic that my parents got for me at a garage sale, and rapidly progressed to using my mom's Argus to take black and white pictures. I was maybe 8 or 10. I didn't stick with it for more than a year or two. I took photography in high school and got exposed to black and white darkroom work. Then I stopped taking pictures until I could get a 2MP digicam, because I hated the thought of accumulating piles and piles of prints and negatives, and 2MP would let me take desktop backgrounds for my 1600x1200 monitor. That was just after I graduated from college. When I convinced myself that I was actually going to stick with it, I bought a Digital Rebel. Eventually I bought a printer and started making prints, which got me past my phobia of physical artifacts.

I've been using a 20d for about the last two years. I love it, but I want to be able to print BIG, and I find that it's 8MP images start to show up a lack of detail once you get past about a 10x15 print. I want to be able to walk up to my pictures and keep seeing more and more, the closer I get.

--------------------------------------

So back at the end of October I decided to give large format (4x5) a shot. Even if it doesn't work out, it'll be fun.

The first step was to read up on largeformatphotography.info, photo.net, and Adam's The Camera, and anywhere else I could find. I had to figure out what I needed to buy, and what a revelation that was.

Where you can get a working setup for a DSLR with a body, lens, flash card, flash reader, battery, battery charger, computer and printer, you need one heck of a lot more for large format. Unless you're made of money, you're going to need film holders, film, some way to develop it and a scanner to scan it with. You don't just need a lens, you need a lens, lens board and cable release. You don't just look at the viewfinder on your camera, you need a dark cloth and loupe. The camera won't have a built in meter, so you either need your old DSLR, a separate meter or lots of hubris. I'm not betting on hand holding, so a tripod is not optional, it's mandatory.

With all that stuff to buy, no local stores that carry it, and the intent of saving money, I figured I'd try eBay for the first time. I rapidly found that it's easier to find view cameras than field cameras on eBay. The field cameras you DO find tend to be almost as expensive as a low end model purchased new. I liked Colin Jago's logic on used large format cameras - he worried that if he bought a used one he might not be able to tell if it had problems until he'd frustrated himself mightily. So I decided to buy as much else from eBay as I could and get the camera new.

I've learned a lot.

First, eBay is great, as long as you're not counting on getting something right away. I've won 5 auctions and used Buy It Now once. I've gotten 4 of the resulting packages. One of them is now over 4 weeks late (yesterday the seller messaged me saying it had been returned because the shipping label came off...). About half of them got here as quickly as I might have expected from a top flight commercial outfit. All of them had 100% or nearly 100% positive ratings, and at least 100 or so of those.

Second, when you venture into Large Format, you're venturing away from the large companies and high volumes of the DSLR world. I ordered a new Tachihara on Nov 1. The last I heard it hadn't shipped from the factory yet, much less left the retailer. The nice gentleman I talked to at Midwest Photo Exchange explained that Tachihara contracts out the metal parts and sometimes their suppliers don't produce them on time. Apparently this is a common problem with makers of field cameras. The retailers that carry a lot of the large format gear don't have the same advanced websites as Amazon and B&H. You won't know until after you order whether things are in stock. Sort of like ordering from Adorama (yes... that was a cheap shot).

Third, you have far more choices to make than you do with a DSLR. You never have to worry about the size of the image circle on a DSLR - if the lens has the right lens mount, you're golden. Likewise, you don't have to worry about whether your camera can focus with a specific lens because the focusing mechanism is part of the lens. With large format it's part of the camera, and you can buy lenses that are both too long and too short for your camera. On the other hand, there aren't a lot of 50 year old lenses that work on my 20d. I've got a Schneider Angulon 90mm f6.8 that was made in 1950, and it works fine on my new large format camera. It even has a PC terminal so I can use it with my 580EX :)

Fourth, spot meters are expensive. Pentax and Sekonic seem to make the most popular ones, but they cost around $500 new. Minolta makes one, but none of the camera shops seem to carry it. Amazon does, but it's not listed under spot meters. I can't remember what I was searching on, but they have the Minolta Spot Meter F for $350. I snagged one used off of eBay for half that. If I didn't want to try my hand at the zone system (I've been reading Adams' books...) I could have gone with some other metering method and saved the money.

Fifth, Kodak Rapid Fixer will get your package flagged as hazardous material. Mine arrived with a big rip right across the "corrosive" warning label. I was lucky the receptionist at my office didn't get upset about the ripped up box with warnings about sulfuric acid sitting on her desk.

Sixth, impatience is the enemy of frugality. I'd intended to start out by shooting some polaroids and black and white. I'd process the polaroids myself (duh) and take the b&w's to my local camera shop. While waiting for things to arrive, I got the bug and bought enough stuff to process it myself. Both trays and an HP Combi Plan T. At least I haven't bought a Jobo. Yet. I bought the aforementioned light meter instead of using my DSLR as a meter the way I'd planned. I also got tired of waiting for the camera, and bought a used Cambo SC off of eBay.

So, after 28 days, I got my camera today. I'm waiting for the first negatives to dry so I can scan them. They're from polaroids - I haven't broken out the TMAX yet. Even when I do, I've only got a single film holder, because the lot of 7 still hasn't arrived. I'm tempted to place an order with B&H for half a dozen, so I have some capacity to take out shooting this weekend. If I do it before I go to sleep and pay for 2 day air, it should arrive on Friday...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Erik,

Thanks so much for the report! There's a dark side to it! juices start to flow. I've already mapped out putting film through my Broinca. Now I'm also think 4x5. Bad thoughts!

I'm looking forward to your first scans. What are your plans? Just remember that all the O.D. capabilities theat are given with the flatbed scanners are flatout lies! No O.D. of 4.0 or nay of them no matter the price, unless you are going drumscan.

Usually it's 3.1 to 3.7 if one is fortunate. The new Epson flatbed V700 is supposed to be very good.

Here's a review of V 750, the Pro version. This is a little more expensive!

"The Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner is aimed at the high end consumer market, whereas the V750 is targeted for the professional user.
The main difference between the two models is the V750 has an Anti-Reflection Optical Coating. This coating is applied to the CCD glass to eliminate or minimize the amount of reflections. Abnormal Ghost images are reduced.
The V750 includes the full version of SilverFast Ai 6 together with Monaco EZ Colour management solution.
The film holders were the weak link for the V700 and now for the V750 too. As this is aimed at the professional user I would have expected a higher quality build from these holders - I wonder how long they will last under constant use by a professional.

The Fluid Mount Accessory is not supplied with the V750, it has to be purchased as a separate item"

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson V750/page_1.htm

Of course, you have a scanner already?

Keep us updated!

Cheers,

Asher

Erik DeBill

Asher Kelman said:
Erik,

Thanks so much for the report! There's a dark side to it! juices start to flow. I've already mapped out putting film through my Broinca. Now I'm also think 4x5. Bad thoughts!

Yes, it's evil. I got all the chemistry to develop film almost 2 weeks ago and was sorely tempted to go buy a cheap 35mm film camera so I could play with it.

Of course, you have a scanner already?

Yes. I went out and bought an HP Scanjet 4890. It was the cheapest I could find that worked on a Mac and could scan a 4x5 negative. I hope to scan those negatives tonight, at which point I'll write something up about it. I can already tell that there will be quite a learning curve in several areas I hadn't expected (VueScan is nice and easy, handling pictures and negatives isn't).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well that slipped by me Erik!

I thought at first you were refering to the Epson Perfection 4870, a well regarded flatbed scanner that replace the Epson 3100 itself popular with photographers. Then the Epson 4990 trumped that offering a resolution of 4,800 dpi and claiming (hello would you like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge too :) ) an optical density Dmax of 4.0!

For some time, the HP scanners were not Mac friendly. This news is great. So I'd be interested to see how it goes.

Asher

Tim Smith

Ahhh. 4x5 black and white. My first and truest love. Yes you need a fair amount of arcane paraphenalia, and yes, it's hard to sort through all the possible combinations of lenses, shutters (especially with older lenses it matters which shutter the glass is mounted to), film holders, tripods (think bigger), hand-held meters, etc. But the first time you pull a contact print of that single 4x5 sheet of film from the fixer and gaze at it under the yellow light, you will be hooked.

You will be oblivious to the stares and inane comments you receive when you throw that black cloth over your head. Underneath that cloth you will be illuminated by an ethereal, upside down world that appears to float before your eyes as if from another dimension.

I applaud your energy and enthusiasm. It will be rewarded with beautiful tones, open shadows, and stunning detail.

Erik DeBill

Tim Smith said:
Ahhh. 4x5 black and white. My first and truest love. Yes you need a fair amount of arcane paraphenalia, and yes, it's hard to sort through all the possible combinations of lenses, shutters (especially with older lenses it matters which shutter the glass is mounted to), film holders, tripods (think bigger), hand-held meters, etc. But the first time you pull a contact print of that single 4x5 sheet of film from the fixer and gaze at it under the yellow light, you will be hooked.

I've already noticed that the synchro-compur shutter on my 90mm lens does not match any of the usage guides I've been able to find on the web. It has no option for locking the lens open for focusing, beyond setting it to "B" and locking it open with the cable release. I also haven't seen anything that specifies what "X" and "M" are on the lever that one site said would control how the flash works.

You will be oblivious to the stares and inane comments you receive when you throw that black cloth over your head. Underneath that cloth you will be illuminated by an ethereal, upside down world that appears to float before your eyes as if from another dimension.

I applaud your energy and enthusiasm. It will be rewarded with beautiful tones, open shadows, and stunning detail.

Thank you. This has already been an adventure and I'm sure it's just getting started.

Jack_Flesher

Erik DeBill said:
I've already noticed that the synchro-compur shutter on my 90mm lens does not match any of the usage guides I've been able to find on the web. It has no option for locking the lens open for focusing, beyond setting it to "B" and locking it open with the cable release. I also haven't seen anything that specifies what "X" and "M" are on the lever that one site said would control how the flash works.

Ah so, Grasshopper :)

In the 'olden' days, flash was often single-pop bulbs -- later, along came fancy portable electonic strobes. During the transition, many pros had a preference for one or the other but they required different trigger timing depending on which you used. Thus the shutters of that time allowed for both: X for Electronic and M for Bulbs.

That extra little lever you cannot figure out what it's for (unless it broke off and you can't see it) will hold the shutter open for focusing -- just hold it as you fire and the shutter lock open. Fact is though, Bulb and a locking cable release is just as easy :)

Cheers,

Erik DeBill

Jack_Flesher said:
Ah so, Grasshopper :)

In the 'olden' days, flash was often single-pop bulbs -- later, along came fancy portable electonic strobes. During the transition, many pros had a preference for one or the other but they required different trigger timing depending on which you used. Thus the shutters of that time allowed for both: X for Electronic and M for Bulbs.

That extra little lever you cannot figure out what it's for (unless it broke off and you can't see it) will hold the shutter open for focusing -- just hold it as you fire and the shutter lock open. Fact is though, Bulb and a locking cable release is just as easy :)

Cheers,

Odd. I can't see anything that looks broken off. I've got the cocking lever, shutter release, the aperture adjust, the shutter speed ring, the X/M lever for flash, and the little button for the self-timer. Luckily, as you say, bulb and locking cable release works nicely.

Erik DeBill

3 pictures of the mystery shutter

Asher Kelman said:
Erik,

Why don't you post a picture of the lens. We'll see if it matches anything we know.

Asher

393-9391-90mm_angulon_front_view.jpg

393-9392-90mm_angulon_side_view.jpg

393-9393-90mm_angulon_side_view.jpg

Jack_Flesher

The little button lever above the "B" is what holds the lens open while on the "B" setting. You hold that over and fire, it will trap the lever and hold the shutter hold (T-mode) until you pull the button out of the path of the lever.

Louis Doench

Bravo Eric! I think the biggest thing i miss from school was working w/ the 4x5's. You're right that the investment is shall we say steep.Thats why I can't go there yet..... :(