• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Newborn Holly Berries

Mary Bull

Just practicing.

Critique welcome.

1) Shot with Canon G2 in RAW.
2) Color balance, saturation, and temperature adjusted in Picasa.
3) Sharpened once.
4) Cropped in Irfanview.

Newborn Holly Berries

Newborn_Holly_Berries_CRW_2290.jpg

Mary

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A great start!

Mary you're adventurous. Suggestions. You are the guardian of M&M, our mascot, so I have to help you!

Move around so that sky or grass shows through the leaves, not the brick wall. If you turn your flash on, that will help, also it will be easier to get a sharp shot hand held. Put one thin layer of toilet tissue or a thin piece of nylon stocking in front of the flash with a rubber band to really make the light soft.

Buy a Macro lens from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Call them and tell them what your camera is and that you want a 250 D macro filter.

I'm not sure if you need an adapter.

Someone else chime in here, please.

You could also return to your local camera store and they might have the stuff in stock.

Let's see if we can get more exact spec ifications.

Any way, this will get you closer to the berries and they will take up more of the frame of the picture.
This way, more pixels will be devoted to them and the image will be sharp.

Try to rest the camera on someting to krrp it steady: the back of a chair, a little step ladder, or another tree. You can brace yourself against a wall, tree or post to keep you still. Hold your breath when you gently release the shutter. So gently!

Then you will have a really sharp picture with a great background.

That's enough for now.

Good luck,

Asher

Mary Bull

Asher, thanks a mil!
I'll go back over to the camera store tomorrow morning.

It was just such a beautiful day here that I could feel fall in the air. Those holly trees are very old--over thirty feet tall, but there was one low branch.

I think I'll take a chair out there and sit to shoot upward. That way i can brace my elbows against my body for a steadier camera. I think I'll wait to see about the lens you suggest before I try it again, however.

Stay tuned.

Thanks for the comprehensive advice.

Mary

Mary Bull

Holly Berries Revisited

Asher Kelman said:
A great start!

Mary you're adventurous. Suggestions. You are the guardian of M&M, our mascot, so I have to help you!
I hope I don't wear out your patience!
Move around so that sky or grass shows through the leaves ...
So, I did, but I don't think the shot any longer qualifies as macro. Still, thought I'd report in with it here.

I haven't been to the camera store to see about the macro lens for my G2 yet. May get over there tomorrow.

This day was so pretty, that I got out in the yard and shot lichens, small rocks, and an oak branch against the sky, wearing one small cloud--besides the holly branch.

Shot a bunch of duds, too. The front window, framed in yew and ivy, with Thistle behind it--but the reflections of the glass blew half the area. Well, the more I shoot, the more I will learn what not to do. I think.

Again, thanks a million for all your guidance and help.

Here's the holly branch against the blue sky.

Blue_Holly_CRW_2295.jpg

I confess to playing with it a bit in Picasa2. I wanted a bluer sky, and I got it.

Mary

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Mary,

You are adventurous indeed.

When you get your macro lens, set it up as close as you can to get the berries to fills as much of the screen as possible. Then you can crop a bit further. Try to do things whenever possible at the time of taking hte picture, lighting, especially.

Whenever you make changes, don't go overboard, unless you have decided to compete with Andy Warhal's of the world!

Do the minimum of what you think is necessary and then use only 2/3 of that is a good starting point.

A picture should be seductive but not over obvious!

Asher

Mary Bull

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Mary,

You are adventurous indeed.

When you get your macro lens, set it up as close as you can to get the berries to fills as much of the screen as possible. Then you can crop a bit further. Try to do things whenever possible at the time of taking hte picture, lighting, especially.
Will keep the advice seriously in mind.

Whenever you make changes, don't go overboard, unless you have decided to compete with Andy Warhal's of the world!

Do the minimum of what you think is necessary and then use only 2/3 of that is a good starting point.
Ah, the blue that never was on sea or land!
That blazing sun had washed the sky color out so that it looked like the sky of the South Texas coastal prairie at noon. That is, nearly white, and pastel though it was, ranging a bit toward the green end of light blue.

Oh, well, I had fun doing it. And the great thing is that I still have the original image, the one that tells the camera's truth.
A picture should be seductive but not over obvious!
I'll remember. Thanks again for all your help.

Mary