• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nodding Donkey

charlie chipman

At times I am particularly fond of shooting infrared and ultraviolet spectrum photography. My initial draw to the ultraviolet spectrum was that you can explore patterns on flowers that we can not see with our own eyes, such as this dandelion that we are used to seeing as solid yellow flower, in the ultraviolet spectrum it shows a different side of it existence with a dark center area

422328008_28ae552daf_o.jpg

That said flowers do not need to be the sole subject of UV photography, here is a picture from kenneth hahn state recreation area here in los angeles taken right around sunset with a D70, el-nikkor 50mm (enlarger lens adapted to F mount), and the Baader-U "venus" filter which blocks visible light and IR wavelengths.

oilriggers.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting Charlie!

The dandelion, unlike most flowers, multiplies by parthenogesis. UV shows paths for pollinating insects to visit in regular flowers.

The second picture has no title. If it would I might be able to express more than I like the simple graphic look.

Asher

charlie chipman

Interesting Charlie!

UV shows paths for pollinating insects to visit in regular flowers.

Asher

Indeed it does, quite fascinating if you ask me.

Nodding donkey is a nick name of the oil pump jack hence the title ;)
I just posted the dandelion picture in the event anybody was not familiar with some of the UV patterns, I suppose they could have served as two different threads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodding_donkey

charlie chipman

Thanks for the comment Cedric

The second picture has no title. If it would I might be able to express more than I like the simple graphic look.

Asher, I am curious why me giving a title to a picture would have influence on your ability to express an opinion about said picture.

Personally I don't particularly like naming pictures and the main reason I do so is for a place holder on internet sites, more often than not the name I give them is nothing more than one particular element in the photograph itself.

Tim Ashley

Hi Charlie,

The first one I think is interesting because as you say the method of photographing it shows another side to its existence. The second one is for me much more creatively interesting - it has a sort of sixties look of political protest to it that suits the subject matter, so its a good conjunction of technique and effect. Cool!

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Signposts: Giving Photographs Titles!

Asher, I am curious why me giving a title to a picture would have influence on your ability to express an opinion about said picture.

Personally I don't particularly like naming pictures and the main reason I do so is for a place holder on internet sites, more often than not the name I give them is nothing more than one particular element in the photograph itself.

Hi Charlie,

O.K. let's discuss "Signposts: Titles for Artwork!"

This is just my own take on things, no one has to agree of course! Still, what is useful for me might interest you too. Naming pictures, IMHO, can be an important point when one wants to consider a work in terms of the Photographer's intent and not just any framework. It's just giving a helpful signpost to the photographers perspectives. For mundane pictures, this is not needed! There the title is nice but often just something to nod one's head at in agreement or laugh if it's funny!

I like to respond in terms of the photographer's intent and purpose. Otherwise our ideas and comments are, IMHO, of little value. Of course, one can always comment on technic or esthetics. However, my interest is the artist's intent.

Now Charlie, I assure you, that even when we are provided with the title and introduction, if the art works, it will converse with us and each time we revisit it will tell us new things and will ask us to come back again.

So that is my view of what goes on with better images. That's why I asked about your photograph!

Asher