• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Northern Lights from Southern Ontario

Robert Watcher

A friend messaged me just as I was heading to bed around 10:30 last night, stating “have you looked at the northern sky?” I was planning on waking up around 2:00-3:00 to look out my window for any signs of the Northern Lights that have been advertised as a real possibility of seeing them on May 10’th because of the solar flares.

Anne and I were hoping to see something, so we got dressed, grabbed my gear and headed to my favourite dark side road for night skies. It’s not the most creative location and I did nothing more than shoot as wide as I could. But we got to witness the long streaks going straight up overhead. The crescent moon was heading down in the west, for an interesting view - although the aurora required exposures that caused the moon to glow as a circle. After an hour, any intensity subsided. Thank goodness we went then, as clouds rolled in and it rained most of the night - there would have been no chance for viewing at 2:00.

IMG_3325.jpeg

IMG_3319.jpeg

IMG_3321.jpeg

IMG_3323.jpeg

IMG_3327.jpeg

Last edited: