• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Not A lens, Canon TC-80N3

Sid Jervis

pro member
I would place this in accessories but......things are new here.

Does anyone use the Canon TC-80N3 remote control for something other than Astrophotography or simple timed exposures.
I am interested in seeing a more creative use of the product, please inspire me.

Thanks

Tim Rucci

Re: Tc80-n3

I use mine just about anytime my camera is on a tripod and I'm shooting at a low shutter speed. It's a great way to ensure that you can release the shutter without the risk of any camera movement. So in addition to being able to time exposures and set them up for any intervals you want automatically as in astrophotography, it also works great as an electronic cable release.

There are probably lots of other uses too.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Tim Rucci said:
I use mine just about anytime my camera is on a tripod and I'm shooting at a low shutter speed. It's a great way to ensure that you can release the shutter without the risk of any camera movement. So in addition to being able to time exposures and set them up for any intervals you want automatically as in astrophotography, it also works great as an electronic cable release.

There are probably lots of other uses too.

Same here.

Will T.

DavidLai

On a recent trip, I met up with a friend who does strictly wedding photography. We were talking about the cable release and he told me that he sometimes puts his 20D on a monopod at weddings with his shutter cable attached and he raises the monopod high over his head with the cable hanging down to get different shots of the events from a different perspective. He also mentioned that the standard shutter cable is about 2.5' - 3' in length. To fix this problem, this is what I found on the net: http://www.lukemiller.org/journal/2005/05/making-extendable-remote-release-for.html

The link shows a non-Canon brand. I wouldn't try it with a $130 TC-80N3.

I can't wait to pick this thing up and give it a try.

Sid Jervis

pro member
DavidLai said:
To fix this problem, this is what I found on the net: http://www.lukemiller.org/journal/2005/05/making-extendable-remote-release-for.html

The link shows a non-Canon brand. I wouldn't try it with a $130 TC-80N3.

I can't wait to pick this thing up and give it a try.
Thanks for the link, it will be really helpful; I also use the mono pod trick when shooting carnivals etc., your friend is right, the standard cord is too short. Cutting up the TC remote is not for the fainthearted, but the RS unit could be subject to some adjustment. The good news is we already know the camera can drive 30 feet of cable, because Canon make a lead that long.