• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Not a photo of Confederation College

Confederation College_SDIM1089_SMALL copy.jpg

No students zooming around campus this summer. It’s a good time for reflection.
Cheers, Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So happy to hear from you!

Canada is a bit behind us in Vaccinations. But the companies will be making millions of doses a week pretty soon!

Hope you are all well!

Asher

We are fine, Asher, especially with the lockdown beginning to ease. I’m impressed by Joe Biden regarding vaccination and in other respects, too. In fact, I wrote a journalistic article that featured him in The Conversation that got several thousand reads worldwide. I wish our Prime Minister had a similar level of get-up-and-go.

Regarding the photo, the title is a play on Magritte’s pipe. The subsequent text gives a clue about the content.

Best Wishes, Mike

Asher Kelman

Very clever picture and text!

We need to wake up to defend the values of our democracy that we claim to treasure! That is what Biden is about: unfortunately boring, but serving all, with honesty and wisdom!

Going for popularity one might hope for a Kennedy but get a Trump, Mussolini or worse!

Somehow, popularism subverts political parties so our politicians, milk us as aphids as we cheer them on!

Asher

Confederation_CollegeSDIM1087 SMALL.jpg
Here’s a view of Confederation College taken the same day as the preceding image. The earlier image is of the reflection turned upside down. Hence, like Magritte’s pipe, that image is not a photo of the college. The camera was a Sigma dp2 Merrill which can be a pain up the ass but dearly loved by me despite its foibles. Cheers, Mike

Asher Kelman

Here’s a view of Confederation College taken the same day as the preceding image. The earlier image is of the reflection turned upside down. Hence, like Magritte’s pipe, that image is not a photo of the college. The camera was a Sigma dp2 Merrill which can be a pain up the ass but dearly loved by me despite its foibles. Cheers, Mike
Interesting!

What is so good about the dp2 Merrill?

Asher

James Lemon

We are fine, Asher, especially with the lockdown beginning to ease. I’m impressed by Joe Biden regarding vaccination and in other respects, too. In fact, I wrote a journalistic article that featured him in The Conversation that got several thousand reads worldwide. I wish our Prime Minister had a similar level of get-up-and-go.

Regarding the photo, the title is a play on Magritte’s pipe. The subsequent text gives a clue about the content.

Best Wishes, Mike

I used to stutter as a child but eventualy learned to speak with confidence. I remember my mom once gave $10.00 to go pay the light bill. Somewhere on my way I lost the 10 dollars and was standing on a street corner crying my eyes out. When a man aproached me and asked me why I was crying, I told him my story and he gave me $10.00. Fortunately I was able to pay the light bill but I was out there evry day afterwards standing on the street corner crying my eyes out. I have never sttered since.

Last edited:
Asher, The camera captures so much detail. For example, look at the detail in the grass masquerading as trees in the first photo. I also like the slow process involved in taking a photo. My Merrill requires what seems like 30 seconds to process and record a picture. That forces the shooter to take time and trouble over every shot to get the composition right. I prefer this slow style of shooting over rapid shooting with my Nikon SLR, which makes it possible to the best from many shots. The cameras foibles are many but I’ve adapted to them. For example, I always underexpose to avoid highlight blowout. Focusing is iffy but doesn’t seem detrimental for a thoughtfully composed photo. The Sigma RAW processing package is widely criticized as primitive but I find it ok. Subsequent post-processing, if necessary, is done using Affinity on the resulting jpeg files.

Last edited:
QUOTE="James Lemon, post: 207198, member: 11048"]
I used to stutter as a child but eventualy learned to speak with confidence. I remember my mom once gave $10.00 to go pay the light bill. Somewhere on my way I lost the 10 dollars and was standing on a street corner crying my eyes out. When a man aproached me and asked me why I was crying, I told him my story and he gave me $10.00. Fortunately I was able to pay the light bill but I was out there evry day afterwards standing on the street corner crying my eyes out. I have never sttered since.
[/QUOTE]

That’s a great story James! You have a great sense of humour. I do think stuttering in childhood can help promote social confidence in adulthood by engendering toughness toward negative reactions by other people. Cheers, Mike

Asher Kelman

Asher, The camera captures so much detail. For example, look at the detail in the grass masquerading as trees in the first photo. I also like the slow process involved in taking a photo. My Merrill requires what seems like 30 seconds to process and record a picture. That forces the shooter to take time and trouble over every shot to get the composition right. I prefer this slow style of shooting over rapid shooting with my Nikon SLR, which makes it possible to the best from many shots. The cameras foibles are many but I’ve adapted to them. For example, I always underexpose to avoid highlight blowout. Focusing is iffy but doesn’t seem detrimental for a thoughtfully composed photo. The Sigma RAW processing package is widely criticized as primitive but I find it ok. Subsequent post-processing, if necessary, is done using Affinity on the resulting jpeg files.
Which of this class of cameras might you suggest for studio work with models. What in the nature of the colors and texture might be the payoff?

Asher

Which of this class of cameras might you suggest for studio work with models. What in the nature of the colors and texture might be the payoff?

Asher
I’ve never done studio work with models, Asher. Having no experience with studio lighting, etc., I can’t really answer the question. Sorry, Mike. The camera is good for fine detail, as illustrated by ripples on the reflection in the full size version of the photo below.

Under_the_Bridge_2_SDIM1098_SMALL.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

This is beautiful work, Mike.

The important nature of both this camera is the meditative slow work.

I think this is going to be a great camera for approaching the look of direct positive color film!

Asher

This is beautiful work, Mike.

The important nature of both this camera is the meditative slow work.

I think this is going to be a great camera for approaching the look of direct positive color film!

Asher

Yes. When the camera was introduced several years ago, Luminous Landscape likened it to a digital and experiential counterpart of medium format film photography.