• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

not particularly close, certainly not macro, but...

there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to put photos of this nature, so here goes...

this is a sword fern, taken in early spring before it had fully uncurled. i spotted the two ferns, and noticed the similarity in shape, so i walked around them trying different angles till i achieved the effect i wanted. i liked the way the light hit them, lighting the one in the foreground but leaving the one in back mostly in shadow, and the sort of "visual echo" or repetition of form and detail... Canon 30D, Tamron 24-135 lens @ ~100mm, 1/320 @ f6.3...

IMG_1650sm.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The specimens have an interesting texture and I like that one is presented fully lit and in focus.

I wonder whether or not the image is a tad oversharpened for web viewing. Best be parsimonious with sharpening. You already are detail rich and its easy to jump from their to artifcacts.

I wonder whether you might like to try removing 0.5" from the right side to balance the image.

Otherwise I like it and wonder what size you might print it and how?

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Asher, i have this currently printed and framed, though only at 5x7. i could certainly print it at 8x10 or larger if i wanted to. i find the overall dark tone of the image, with the highlighted subject, centered in a white mat with a black frame, presents a rather striking display.

Rocky

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well Winston, that's the test of a picture!

I think it could go large. Sometimes assymetetry works better but then I like to see more of it!

Asher