• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nothing is Wasted

James Lemon

Nothing is wasted, and what might be the discards of one living thing are the nutrients of another​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Except for this:

Washed up from the oceans to shore on to our beaches. These are the fragments that fish didn’t eat or did t sink or get joined to nation-sized floating islands of our debris!

Asher

James Lemon

Point taken!

But we are living things!

Wherever we are we destroy everything!

Asher

How so Asher? I can not imagine some type of diabolical force or group purposefully trying to destroy everything. Am I to understand that humankind does not get along with nature is that what you mean?

James

Asher Kelman

How so Asher? I can not imagine some type of diabolical force or group purposefully trying to destroy everything. Am I to understand that humankind does not get along with nature is that what you mean?

James
Wherever modern industrial societies settle down, the entire ecosystem is replaced on a massive scale. Valleys and hillside are no longer geographically unique with their own biology just division of concrete replacement for the natural world. All the wild life is unable to withstand our complete doninence, except for rats, mice, pigeons, the house fly, mosquitoes, spiders and cockroaches!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Lizards, snakes, crocs, galahs, grasses, moss, algae, bacteria, worms, centipedes, beetles, ticks, leaches ........
I know we are relatively uncivilised down her but we are quite industrious and suburban. Yet there seems to be an abundance of organisms of all shapes and forms.
I have noticed if I stand still long enough something will attack me. Possible with a lethal outcome. Not that I’ve tested that out. Although some have.
This predatory nature of our local species keeps the population trimmed to a manageable number. Zero population growth for the past years.

don’t forget, Ash, you’re one of us. A contributor. I understand your concern, be it a little over-reactive, but But what can we do. We’re here now. In large numbers and increasing at a considerable rate. We deem ourselves on top of the food chain. We demand our ‘God given rights’. Why, even inventing a god or two we do more damage that we clean up.
Then there’s food, shelter, education, good health, means of transport, entertainment, have children, free speech, a haircut once a month and a fence between my neighbour and I.

Why, Doc, you even keep us alive longer so we can have more time and energy to do all this stuff.

Then there’s the disagreements. Oh, how we argue!

im not suggesting we shouldn’t concern ourselves with our impact, past and present. It’s just that those who complain most seem to have a pretty large boot size. Big enough to make a reasonable dent in the ecosystem and leave behind a smoky grey scum as they move through life.

hyperboles don’t make a difference. Neither does panic, complaining, and finger pointing. Nor does making use of those that cause the damage.

Here’s a reasonable start.

1. reduce the population by half. I’ll pick which half.
  2. stop driving, except by motorcycle.
  3. Eat plants.
  4. Don’t use fossil fuels.
  5. Stop healing people of terminal illnesses.
  6. Admit God is fictitious
  7. Reduce all dwellings to 5x5 m per person.
  8. No pets
  9. All wildlife is protect and has a free run.
  10. Family limited to 2 adults (any gender) one child.

That’s a start.
Add your own.

Asher Kelman

Lizards, snakes, crocs, galahs, grasses, moss, algae, bacteria, worms, centipedes, beetles, ticks, leaches ........
I know we are relatively uncivilised down her but we are quite industrious and suburban. Yet there seems to be an abundance of organisms of all shapes and forms.

Tom,

The view from down under might be different. Europe already destroyed 99% of its woodlands, (churches and castles),
prior to the miraculous “discovery” of the Americas with endless new forests to chop down!

With the demise of woodlands go the birds and the animals.

In California the mountain lions are few in number, all tagged and every so often one lone cub is born and another female is hit by a car.

Deer are rare along the hillsides.

Most wild animals are simply wiped out by loss of habitat and prey.

Birds are reduced to hardy species and those that can still migrate and find alternate wintering havens in Africa.

Amphibians are hit with loss of forest and jungle floor of leaf coverage and a fungus attacks their skin so they suffocate.

Then we have a mismatch between insects appearing before or after the flowers that need pollinating or at the wrong elevation.

It’s serious Tom. No exaggeration!

Asher

Asher Kelman

... .Here’s a reasonable start.

1. reduce the population by half. I’ll pick which half.
  2. stop driving, except by motorcycle.
  3. Eat plants.
  4. Don’t use fossil fuels.
  5. Stop healing people of terminal illnesses.
  6. Admit God is fictitious
  7. Reduce all dwellings to 5x5 m per person.
  8. No pets
  9. All wildlife is protect and has a free run.
  10. Family limited to 2 adults (any gender) one child.

1. Reduce the population by half: better just limit to replace elderly by allowing immigration of folk with skills and in populations with too low birth rates, subsidize child care.

Industrial societies are threatened with lack of babies so we can’t sustain the excess food production to feed the third world.

So it’s complex. If a productive major state like Germany fails, then we lose a hell of a lot of medicines and equipment that the global community needs. That why Markel stuck her neck out and invited in 1 million Muslim refugees!

On the other hand poor countries where folk have 8-12 children will be far poorer. With increased political agitation and violence, they are a threat to themselves and the Western world. We need to partner with them to get them to a sustainable population as they are growing faster than resources can be developed!

2. Stop driving: we need vertical buildings designed for humanity so we don’t need to travel that much. City transport should be electric and free so it will be unpopular to drive private cars. Then we reengineer cities for more open space.

3. Eat plants: within 10 years the new food revolution will be here with cost for artificially grown neat cells in vats, like brewing beer, 1/6 the cost of regular meat. The value of prairies and farms for cattle will plummet and will be so worthless that they will be diverted to planting Forrest’s and carbon capture. So yes, we’ll no longer eat animals!

4. Fossil fuels will be mostly reserved for the chemicals and making plastics, a waste to burn them.

5. Healing people with “terminal illnesses”? There will be no terminal illnesses as we will defeat death! Get used to it! Death is about to be abolished except by choice or accident ...or bring “done in”!

6. Admitting God is fictitious is useful for what. It’s like admitting that the allure of cleavage is a delusion as there is actually a total lack of female organs in the cleavage. It’s an absence phenomenon that we find intriguing. That’s the allure of Gods. The Jews got rid of idols and multiple gods and the female mother god and after Paul went and stripped Judaism of all the decorations to just leave “love your neighbor as yourself” as the essence of Judaism to spread in the name of a theoretical Jesus, then 50 years later, Mark reified Jesus and created a detailed crafted story, in Ancient Greek tradition, around every dream Paul had and this recreated multiple heads of God, (the Trinity), and brought back essentially the standard kind of woman “goddess Ashera, (Jews had abolished), in Mary and now we have that and Islam to fight over our souls!

Believing in God as Paul suggested isn’t really bad if it’s “love your neighbor as yourself!” and that’s that! However, where it gets dodgy is when we focus not on “good deeds” but rewards in heaven and salvation unique to a sect, that makes religion go off the rails. If God indeed exists as a loving and devoted “father”, he will surely forgive us if we just focus on being good to each other and his beautiful beautiful planet over which we have claimed dominion!

Tom the rest of your ideas work for me!

Just I need space for my tall yellow ladder!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Neither you nor I will be here to see the result.

Utopia it might be. Armageddon is a possibility as well.

The problem with humanity is it’s run by humans.

As with most humans I prefer to concern myself with immediate needs. My left hip has become a pain in the arse. Any suggestions?

Asher Kelman

Neither you nor I will be here to see the result.

Utopia it might be. Armageddon is a possibility as well.

The problem with humanity is it’s run by humans.

As with most humans I prefer to concern myself with immediate needs. My left hip has become a pain in the arse. Any suggestions?
A lot will be in our lifetime yet!

Just don’t check out before the goodies get delivered.

First totally new hearts. A Tel Aviv team has already built a 4 chambered heart with all the right cells. Just needs a nervous system. has all thr blood vessels. All 3 D printed.

Just that the size for a rabbit chest, not yet if enough for humans, let alone rough folk from Darwin!

However, I believe there will be replacement hearts custom built within 7-10 years!

Kidneys a little longer!

But repair is going to be routine for many ills!

As to your hip, get an X-ray!

Asher