• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Notre Dame Cathedral

fahim mohammed

So so saddened by the damage caused to this iconic Paris structure by the fire.
I hope not much damage has been caused to the treasures inside the Cathedral by not only the fire, but the water and chemicals used to put the fire out.

But the spirit of the people of Paris, and indeed the whole of France is not dimmed. Indeed Notre Dame shall return to symbolize that spirit once again, after the renovations.

An unfortunate tragedy to an almost 1000 year old beautiful structure.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, Fahim,

This is a terrible tragedy. It’s really equivalent, technically to the Fukushima disaster, as far as the challenge. Here of course it’s now no immediate risk to life and limb, but it does hold hostage the prodecand hopes and fears of France!

Read about the rebuilding challenge here!

Asher

Michael Nagel

This is a tragedy!

I hope that rebuilding the roof - as the main structure was not harmed - will be accomplished quickly and without accident.

It’s really equivalent, technically to the Fukushima disaster, as far as the challenge. Here of course it’s now no immediate risk to life and limb, but it does hold hostage the prodecand hopes and fears of France!

The investigations point to an accident - a short-circuit.

I do not agree with the comparison.

Here we have a classical (sad, but apparently true) renovation accident that caused the fire.

You want to compare this to a triple nuclear meltdown that displaced many people and where - after 8 years - the location of the corium is still not known?
This was not a simple accident, the reasons go further than the earthquake and tsunami and are INHO also linked to wrong judgments and company greed. (Onagawa survived the quake and tsunami without meltdown albeit being closer to the epicenter).

It is a cultural tragedy, yes.

Still I think that many people who are in favor of rebuilding Notre-Dame (I am too) would think of other comparisons that the one you made.

Michael

Asher Kelman

To me, the Tsunami is the eruptive frenzy of empathy and concern as if the beating heart of a child was being consumed by evil!

It’s magnitude is out of proportion to the nature of the event.

Asher

Chris Calohan

Comparable to whatever is irrelevant and what was saved is what is most important. Interestingly enough I think to preserve it for another 800 years the roof will once again have to be made from trees or stone as both materials seem to have incredible longevity.

Asher Kelman

Chris,

It’s no longer “a” Cathedral. It’s now “The Notre Dame edifice”, representing religion, fantasy, will, culture, openness, pride and even pomposity. So what is to be built cannot be governed by inherent limitations of the accepted rationale, uses and properties of “Cathedrals”, as these are no longer the sole driving values!

Asher