• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Our people - Setúbal, Portugal

Antonio Correia

A couple of years ago I started a project where I invited people from my hometown to be photographed so I could make a small collection of portraits. All include a very short written text of what they have done and they actually do. I have photographed only 20 people, black and white was chosen.

Time went on and now I would like to make a fresh start inviting more people.
Only this time I do not want to make black and white shots, but instead I want to make coloured ones. The black and white is always easier to do as one has not to deal with the colours of the faces and can concentrate on tonalities and gradation.

Now, instead of maintaining people in the same scenario over and over as previously done, I want everybody in their working place.
The project is not supposed to be a "corporate headshot" project all very perfect in terms of light positions, perfect ambiance and so on, but rather a more non compromised work, not subjected to rigid parameters.
However, this doesn't mean that I am not taking care of details and precisions...

Below are two examples: one from the black and white project and another which I consider to be suitable/adjusted to my ideas.
As before I want to use additional light. No, not flash this time, even if I have two of them.
Instead, I want to buy a LED light with barns, adjustable colour temperature and power. I want to use a large diffuser or perhaps not as to bounce light can be easily used with a similar result in small areas

Any ideas you would like to share about this project ? 🙏
Cheers ! (y)
0-XL.jpg
i-LrvKPhk-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio,

I love this project. Essentially I am supposed to do the same with my modeling continuous LED lights.

Using flash allows me to hand hold.

What ISO are you forced to use?

In the first picture I would suggest some side light on the b.g. Through crumpled black paper with torn holes to case splashes of light some with a colored gel. That changes a person from being a ghostly presence in deep space!

For the second I would decrease the light in the right b.g. as distribution of light is a display of ranking of the elements for our attention.

For the Dr., one light front camera upper right and another, or a reflector, to his right side to give presence to his right body edge.

If you can add a hidden hair light from the camera right high back.

In general you have too might even light!

However your pictures are still very interesting and magnetic to my eyes and awesome as a series!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher for your comment ! 🙏
I understand clearly your ideas regarding the lights on the new project but I do not want to make things too hard to execute.

A. I want to take the shot as fast as I can - not exaggerating of course - to save time to my invitee and not taking too much equipment with me since I will be alone.

B. The use of wide angle is something to consider regarding the dimension of the room/area. In the case of 24 or 35 I will try to place the subject not far from the center because of distortions.

C. As I will be doing this alone as I told you before, I would like to use only one additional light, which I will be able to place on a tripod and taking advantages of the ambient light either natural from window(s) or artificial light(s).

Here I will have another problem LOL
D. The colour temperature of the different sources of light. Nothing that I will be able somehow, to control using the grey card and LR/CC

E. However, I would like to attach the focus area to me metering mode. This way, I will be able to light the subject using LED lights with barn doors and temperature control. I hope I am applying the right words... I think I am.
But, that too I will be able to control within LR/CC

What a mess :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Asher !
Cheers ! (y)

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher for your comment ! 🙏
I understand clearly your ideas regarding the lights on the new project but I do not want to make things too hard to execute.

A. I want to take the shot as fast as I can - not exaggerating of course - to save time to my invitee and not taking too much equipment with me since I will be alone.

B. The use of wide angle is something to consider regarding the dimension of the room/area. In the case of 24 or 35 I will try to place the subject not far from the center because of distortions.

C. As I will be doing this alone as I told you before, I would like to use only one additional light, which I will be able to place on a tripod and taking advantages of the ambient light either natural from window(s) or artificial light(s).

Here I will have another problem LOL
D. The colour temperature of the different sources of light. Nothing that I will be able somehow, to control using the grey card and LR/CC

E. However, I would like to attach the focus area to me metering mode. This way, I will be able to light the subject using LED lights with barn doors and temperature control. I hope I am applying the right words... I think I am.
But, that too I will be able to control within LR/CC

What a mess :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Asher !
Cheers ! (y)
Alter the color temperature to that of the other light. Then you can normalize to whatever you want later in LR/PS ACR.

Once you are only using one color temp, daylight, Tungsten or whatever, you can freely add color gels to your LED light and when you get to LR you know what your target colors must be!

Asher

Asher Kelman

The key is to have one color temperature of all the light and defined gels.

Repeat picture without the gels. In LR/PS CC, use the picture without gels for the color balance for the entire shoot. When you apply that to the ones WITH the gel, everything should be as you planned!

Even if you take it at one light temp, in LR/PS reset THAT to your preferred temp that you were not able to achieve during your shoot!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Now, I have to buy a LED light to begin with. At the moment I do not have any suggestions. If you do... 🙏

I would like something with the ability to direct the light on the subject so I could measure the light on the person and underexpose a bit the area around.