• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Panasonic FZ-50 Offering

Hello Mort,

The composition of this image is beautiful, and since I don't live in the USA, I am not familiar with this place, so I really like your image. It indeed has a spiritual feeling.

If I may, I would like to offer some critique on the technical aspects of your image : The image seems rather soft - I am not sure if it is because of camera shake, or strong noise reduction, or both. If you have access to this place again, I would re-do the image with the camera mounted on a tripod, at the lowest ISO setting possible.

With many kinds of images, the subject matter is so interesting or inspiring that subjective image quality plays almost no role whatsoever. But this is essentially "eye candy" (like most Landscape Photography), and I think it's important to try and achieve the best quality image. You don't *need* a SLR, Medium- or Large-format camera, all they help you do is produce HUGE prints. Even with a P&S, you could achieve a fantastic image with careful technique, and with this image, perhaps take two bracketed images and merge them into a High Dynamic Range image (using a tool like qtpfsgui).

Mort Berman

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the time taken to reply.
Antelope Canyon is in the Northern part of Arizona on a Navajo reservation. The area is so popular, that one has to book early and go with a hoard of others to ctch the light as the Sun moves over the Canyon. There are only a few minutes in the day to catch the shot. I was using a tripod and it was shot @ 1/10 - ISO 200. Surprisingly, my print shows considerable contrast and great highlights (all attributed to P/P. Again thanks for the critique.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Mort,

You might try adding a curves layer in photoshop and going to multiply in the blend and adding 5-15%.

Also one can convert a copy to LAB use the L channel only and perfect that and then blend it back with the RGB image.

Asher

Mort Berman

Here is a larger image of the previous posting. Hopefully it shows more detail. I might work on it a little more to see if I can improve on it.

You might try adding a curves layer in photoshop and going to multiply in the blend and adding 5-15%.

Also one can convert a copy to LAB use the L channel only and perfect that and then blend it back with the RGB image.

Hi Asher,

to what end? What is your vision regarding these adjustments? (sorry, I don't have photoshop, I am an open-source kinda guy).