• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Paradise Lost

Steven Sinski

PARADISE LOST- with the world in its current state a rather light hearted look at things we take for granted when we travel.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, we do take for granted such a lot, from facilities like this to even people.....

......especially those close to us!

Asher

Asher Kelman

i see that as a portion of said definition. Hubris plays both sides equally.
Well, we had a program that was not renewed to map out and understand potential threat of some 100 plus novel Coronaviruses in wild animals, globally and we didn’t renew funding and so shut it down. That’s not scientists’ Hubris!

Isn’t that just dismissal of irrelevant “tree-hugging science day-dreamers” by ignorant businessmen or politicians who are averse to environmental science?

The scientists showed no hubris. Or am I mistaken

Most scientist are modest, relatively poorly paid but devoted to unraveling nature’s secrets. Where is the hubris in that?

Asher

Steven Sinski

humans in general do. its really relevant to where you are on the "food chain" perspective. as is being demonstrated as we speak.

"Most scientist are modest, relatively poorly paid but devoted to unraveling nature’s secrets. Where is the hubris in that?" if only that were true all of the time.

Asher Kelman

humans in general do. its really relevant to where you are on the "food chain" perspective. as is being demonstrated as we speak.

"Most scientist are modest, relatively poorly paid but devoted to unraveling nature’s secrets. Where is the hubris in that?" if only that were true all of the time.
But as a class, they are more likely to be serving the public rather than simple greed.

But I agree that being recognized and exploiting those working underneath you, is also part of that ecosystem!

So yes, “food chain” position is always relevant!

Asher