• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pelicans shouldn’t be here.

Robert Watcher

A pair of White Pelicans have made a stir not too far from our home in Ontario - along the beach area of Lake Huron. Anne and I decided to drive over this afternoon, hoping we would have a sighting. It was cold and raining as we walked along the coast area where a couple of friends said they spotted them. After 1/2 hour or so, it was clear that the pelicans had left the area. We headed back to the car, put the heater on and started heading back to home. I happened to look in my rear view mirror and noticed two large birds heading in for a landing in the place we just left. The timing couldn’t have been better.

We have witnessed brown pelicans in Costa Rica, tucking their wings back and diving deep into the waters of the Pacific Ocean. So it was exciting to see these White Pelicans - which are twice the weight and wingspan - but do not dive for food. So there was no possibility of getting action shots. My 600mm lens allowed me to grab a few decently close shots of the one bird that swam a little close to the shore. I was struck by the large flap on its beak. Anne googled to find out that those only show during breeding season. So I guess that is why the pair is here. Although I wasn’t able to grab a photo of the two together as the second pelican remained a fair distance out in the lake.

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

Edit_0050denoise-sharpen.jpeg

Edit_0051denoise-severe-noise.jpeg

Edit_0052denoise-severe-noise-sharpen.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am stunned! These are so beautiful. I have only seen brown pelicans!

Why on earth would a flap only occur during the mating season!

Is it the coral flap that’s so unique?

Asher

Robert Watcher

I am stunned! These are so beautiful. I have only seen brown pelicans!

Why on earth would a flap only occur during the mating season!

Is it the coral flap that’s so unique?

Asher
This was the description we found related to the large bump on its bright orange-yellow beak —- “The bony protrusion (also called a caruncle) grows on both male and female pelicans and is believed be an ornament to attract an ideal breeding partner. This conspicuous phenomenon, exclusive to this type of pelican, sheds away after mating is done and the eggs are laid.”