• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Peregrine Portrait from rear - Does it work?

John Harper

Hi There

Shot I took yesterday showing a Peregrine Falcon about to take flight.

I quite like the out of focus background and foreground foliage but i am not sure if it works without seeing the birds face? Be grateful to hear anyones else's views on this.

Comments welcomed as always.

Tech Details:

EOS 1DMKIIN - 70-200 F2.8L IS @ 200mm ISO 400 1/1600 @ 2.8

peregrine2.jpg

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hey John,

Ok what I know about bird photography amounts to about zero.............However.....There are so many gorgeous bird shots about when I look at this image I immediately think about how I want to see the face. Assuming the image is to be used, in that case I would clone green into the top distracting area of the frame.
Cheers,

Paul

Hi John,

I guess my answer would be yes and no. I agree that the soft green background and foreground are strong elements, as is the color contrast with the relatively black and white bird. As you point out, not seeing the bird's face/eye leaves the observer a bit unsatisfied.

It might potentially work better, even without the face, if it was already in the air, or with a more symmetric appearance of wings, perhaps.

But as is, if pushed, I'd have to say 'close, but no cigar.' I don't know how many images I've shot over the last several years that are in that category. By that I mean an image with many strong elements, but one or two that are just too weak (lack of critical focus, not the right head position, clipped wing-tip, etc.), so that I know I have to get out there and try again!

Thanks for the thought provoking post.

John Harper

Hi John,

I guess my answer would be yes and no. I agree that the soft green background and foreground are strong elements, as is the color contrast with the relatively black and white bird. As you point out, not seeing the bird's face/eye leaves the observer a bit unsatisfied.

It might potentially work better, even without the face, if it was already in the air, or with a more symmetric appearance of wings, perhaps.

But as is, if pushed, I'd have to say 'close, but no cigar.' I don't know how many images I've shot over the last several years that are in that category. By that I mean an image with many strong elements, but one or two that are just too weak (lack of critical focus, not the right head position, clipped wing-tip, etc.), so that I know I have to get out there and try again!

Thanks for the thought provoking post.

Don

Thanks for the comments and yes the moral is I think try again.

To illustrate exactly what you mean by not quite right, here is the next shot in the sequence... Yes he has turned round and i can see his face..... but now he has dropped a wing!!

Oh the joys of photography :)

John

peregrin3.jpg