• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pieris rapae

Paul Iddon

Pieris rapae, I pretty sure (but I have been wrong before...)

pieridae_body0_4k_1800-X3.jpg

pieridae_body1_4k_1800-X3.jpg

pieridae_head1_4k_1800-X3.jpg

pieridae_eye1_4k_1800-X3.jpg

pieridae_eye2_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul!

Wow! Pieris rapae!

1A0E0E59-5334-4D56-88B8-3D585EB3C3E4.jpeg

I’m so impressed! One of the most beautiful and most explanatory sequences!

Beyond fabulous!

Remind me of your lens setup!!

Asher

Paul Iddon

Thank you Asher.

These were taken tripod mounted on the 70D, using my LAOWA 60mm 2:1 Super Macro lens, at various zoom lengths from 1:1 right through to 2:1.

It's fully manual and a beast to master, but it gives great quality images.

Paul.

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher.

These were taken tripod mounted on the 70D, using my LAOWA 60mm 2:1 Super Macro lens, at various zoom lengths from 1:1 right through to 2:1.

It's fully manual and a beast to master, but it gives great quality images.

Paul.
What is the difficulty in using it? Is it feasible to use handheld?

Do you have a picture of your lighting setup?

Asher

Paul Iddon

Yes, it is very hard hand held - the vast majority of my macros are tripod mounted. if I can do so.

This is my twin flash with 3D printed diffusers. There is also now a small piece of Vellum paper over each head.

lights1.jpg
lights2.jpg
lights3.jpg
lights4.jpg
lights5.jpg

Paul Iddon

How do you convince this butterfly to hold still while you setup?

Asher

By moving very very slowly. 50/50 chance it will fly away as you make an approach. Each time I stop and take a photo, it's 50/50 again on the next (very very slow) approach...

Paul.

Asher Kelman

By moving very very slowly. 50/50 chance it will fly away as you make an approach. Each time I stop and take a photo, it's 50/50 again on the next (very very slow) approach...

Paul.
Great description!

I don’t see a rail?

Do you stack and what f stop do you use, since you have flash, or is that a continuous light?

Have you found any benefit of AF in the past?

Asher

Paul Iddon

AF for macro is not used by most macro 'togs. We tend to move ourselves back and forth to get the focal point.

I almost never stack (I have a rail but it's tucked up in a cupboard).

The flash is not continuous - it has modelling lights but triggers on pressing he shutter release.

Apertures are f/8 which is what I generally use, though f/11 gets dialed in sometimes.

Paul.

Oh, these are beautiful. You take great photos, but I get a little queasy seeing some of the buggier bugs, but these are great photographs! We have something very similar here, but called cabbage butterflies. They flit around like crazy and hard to capture!

Paul Iddon

Oh, these are beautiful. You take great photos, but I get a little queasy seeing some of the buggier bugs, but these are great photographs! We have something very similar here, but called cabbage butterflies. They flit around like crazy and hard to capture!

Thanks Maggie.

We too call them cabbage whites, there are 3 that look similar, with one larger than mine here, and one with feint green veins, all three of which are easy to mix up!

Paul.