• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pileated Woodpecker Taking Off

Don Ferguson Jr.

Pileated Woodpecker taking off. I thought it was cool seeing him fly. It is a male indicated by the red on cheek.
Don

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So beautiful.

Don, the “Naturalists” who documented American wildlife shot such birds out of the sky to be able to make such a detailed and glorious picture. Yes, Audubon was a great hunter with a gun!

But here you are able to bring us the natural behavior so perfectly illuminated with the ACTUAL feather and plumage detail and colors, and the “free-to-live-bird” safely flies away to enjoy its life!

We are so fortunate to have you, Doug Herr, Chris Calohan, Peter Dexter and others to continually blow our mind with such natural beauty!

Thanks so much!

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thanks, Asher for the nice comment and it was a sight to see with the pretty white feathers and red on head flying off from the tree. About hunting it has really helped me as I’ve trained myself to be able to quickly acquire the target with my eyes and swing with the camera like I would with a shotgun. I am hoping Canon will come out with a 7DIII that is not mirrorless so I can see the actual live bird in action and still think it may be released before the 2020 Summer Olympics.
Don

Last edited:

Chris Calohan

At first glance I thought, who, that's a heck of a big branch for the nest....still, though, a great capture. Pileated's are hard buggers to get a decent shot of. Almost as bad as Kingfishers.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have seen films of eagles carrying mountain goats away from a rocky edge, but they merely guide them to drop really deep. Then after that kill I guess they have to call an Uber, LOL!

Asher