• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Poor boy's tilt-shift lens

Tony Monroy

Testing Fotodiox Pro Tilt/Shift P67-EOS adapter with Pentax 67 lenses

Pentax 67 135mm shift pano

5DS_Pentax-135mm@F11_Panorama1Small.jpg

Pentax 67 90mm tilt
5D_200821_Pentax67_90mm f2.8_250sec_f1.6_50mm_ISO200_9495Small.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That is not a poor-mans T/S. Pentax is one of the most elite fine lens manufacturers!

I doubt you will find the lens ever limits your! It will give you great success, I am sure of it!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Because they are cheaper than buying the Canon TS-E lenses, which handle better but at a higher price than I can afford (for non-professional use).
Of course! But you are smart to choose Pentax, just the same! It’s a great second choice!

I use a 45mm Pentax 6x7 lens with a Zörk T/S!

That’s even more DIY than your genuine Pentax T/S.

All these lenses are manually focussed, so there is not a lot of difference between these choices in practice, except that the very latest Canon T/S lenses could have newer optics and far better coatings!

Asher

Tony Monroy

>>That’s even more DIY than your genuine Pentax T/S.
I don't have the Pentax T/S. I am using the fotodiox adapter that adds T/S to Pentax 67 lenses; available for several mounts:

Those mechanical Pentax lenses were built to last. Unlike most modern lenses that will not last even 10 years (i.e. Canon 24-105mm IS L) and you will be lucky if they last 20.
My EF 85mm 1.8 died recently. About 18 years old with very little use because I prefer the 100mm lens.

My first poor mans tilt shift was glorified free lensing - using an enlarging lens & a steering gaiter. I liked the options it gave & wanted to try a proper T/S but the cost was prohibitive (>£1000 at the time)
I didn't feel I could stretch to medium format lenses, so simply got a micro four thirds camera & a shift adapter that could be used with my legacy Pentax FF lenses.
Adapter & camera came to under £200, but tricked me into buying lots more MFT kit (adapters to all sorts of lenses, newer bodies & even some native lenses).
It's took me many years to add controllable shift, but I've not been convinced by that on my setup.

Asher Kelman

Today we have very competent ability to correct or reproduce image distortions at will.

Handheld stitching is close to perfect. So there is little absolute need for T/S lenses.

I do have one, I treasure. It’s the Canon EF 24mm. Outstanding!

Asher