• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Port de Neuchâtel - Night Reflections

Charles Lupica

Here is my first image post on OPF. I took this a day or two ago and finished the editing this morning.

Click here for 1600 pixel version

NightPort_rev2_3305_web800.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Charles,

This is a great start, thanks for showing. I first thought that there we some fireworks but upon inspecting the 1600px version I have realized that it is your watermark on the image, LOL.

I have a few questions if I may. Firstly, there is a total loss of detail in the dark/black areas of sky and water. Was this intentional? If so, maybe you can consider cropping the 1/3 of the sky as it seems to add nothing to the picture. Also, the same remark for the right hand side (with rectangular reflections of lights). Would it make the composition better if you left that part out, I was wondering. How did you do the white balancing?

Cheers,

Charles Lupica

I'll have to consider your comments. But there is no detail in the upper portion to show. It is dense forest against a steep mountainside. Above the forest is open sky.

As for detail in dark glassy water, there just isn't any to be had. This panorama was a set of 6 (of the same scene) taken at different exposures so that I could try to do an HDR panorama. But the longer exposures do not show any more detail; the water is too dark, and the trees/sky just don't have any.

Personally, I think it works without any foreground detail. You may be right about cropping the right and losing 1/3 of the sky. I'll have to try it and see what I think. It would shift the composition away from the center and that would be good thing. :)

------

Ok, I tried cropping the right and that works well. Cropping the top doesn't. It actually shifts the everything into center alignment. As it is, the primary focus is center down to the bottom power line. So it mostly works. cropping the top centers it along the horizon, not good. Cropping top and bottom just make it too narrow.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else has some feedback.

Cem_Usakligil

So having made a couple of technical remarks, I'd like to come back to the image itself.

A night scene like this usually evoke certain memories in me. Like the tranquility of a late summer night at the marina, when all the parties have ended and people have all gone to sleep finally. The wind has laid down, there are no ripples on the water. You can hear the occasional sounds from a distance. The smells of local vegetation mixed with fumes of food, alcohol and diesel stench from the boats. It is as if you are sucked into another reality which covers you with its blanket.

Thanks again for sharing.

Charles Lupica

Ok Cem,

Here's a cropped version. I have cropped some from both the top and bottom and removed the right side. I do think this is an improvement. Thanks for the comments. I still have another set or two of the pano so one of those may yield more detail as they are longer exposures. I tried to do an HDR of the left side. It yielded more detail but also a lot more noise so I had to say no to the HDR approach; at least for now.

As for white balance, which you asked about earlier, I have to admit that I did not adjust the balance. the balance is whatever AutoPano Pro came up with. I did try to adjust the temperature but had no success. The problem is that there are at least 3 different light types providing light at different temperatures. If I reduce the tinting from one it boosts the others.

1600 pixel cropped version, click here
NightPort_rev3_3305_cropped_800.jpg

I have cropped some from both the top and bottom and removed the right side. I do think this is an improvement.

I agree, it's much more balanced without the rather featureless right side.

As a general suggestion, many of the best 'night'shots are done at dawn or dusk. It'll be easier to get some definition in the darkest parts and avoid some of the largest blown lightsources. If lucky, one might also get nice colored skies as a bonus.

Bart

Charles Lupica

Based on suggestion from here and elsewhere, here is the last iteration of my Night Reflections • Port de Neuchâtel. I have added a little bit back to the right, I have fixed the blown white ship, brought up the background a little, and reduced the glare around the lamps.

final version (?)
Click here for 1600 pixel version
NightPort_3305_rev6.2_web800.jpg

version 2
NightPort_rev3_3305_cropped_800.jpg

original version
NightPort_rev2_3305_web800.jpg