• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Post your BEE photos HERE (or wasps)

Paul Iddon

Starting a thread for the wondrous world of bees and wasps, please feel free to add any images of your own.

Couple of tireless bees today:

workingbee_4kpng-X2.png

workingbee01_4kpng-X2.png

Paul.

Paul Iddon

(Image heavy)... On a cool evening tonight, between 7.40pm and 8pm, I had loads of time to get some nice photos of this beauty - which looks like it has had a run in with a spiders web... I was able to get lots of angles as it sat on a leaf, and I eventually popped it onto a rose flower, not sure where else I could place it.

winged01_4k_1800-X3.jpg

winged00_4k_1800-X3.jpg

winged02_4k_1800-X3.jpg

winged03_4k_1800-X3.jpg

winged04_4k_1800-X3.jpg

winged05_4k_1800-X3.jpg

winged06_4k_1800-X3.jpg

winged07_4k_1800-X3.jpg

winged08a_4k_1800-X3.jpg

winged09_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Now, that is a difficult question to answer. I remember that you are a medical doctor. Can you determine the health of a person by a simple examination, without the help of blood samples or X-rays?
The eminent detective, Sherlock Holmes diagnosed the sailor with tertiary syphilis just as he walked into the room.

I often recognize skin cancers, some dangerous, just passing a person in the supermarket.

• Hepatitis gives yellow sclera,
  • pulmonary insufficiency or lung tumors can sometimes make the fingernails beak-shaped,
  • spider-nevi on the skin with high estrogen,
  • high neck veins with cardiac failure

....and so forth!

So Jérôme, often one CAN indeed read the book cover, (so to speak), and already have a good idea of what’s in the book, even before reading a single page!

Needless to say, modern trained doctors often miss out on the quick visual scanning of a person for recognizable signals of diseas.

Today doctors may only swiftly, ritualistically and cursorily examine the person “symbolically”, relying instead on the laboratory tests you refer to.

Essentially, as a whole, they tend to know less anatomy, (few dissect cadavers), and are far less skilled in diagnosis by thorough physical exam.

So, that you wonder about the possibility of diagnosis by a “mere glance”, is totally understandable with current medical care.

For bees, I imagine that fungus and parasites would be looked at by the specialized government-supplied entomologists, sent when an area has some issue with hive-collapse or other threat!

If I had bee hives, I would try to learn as much as possible, so as to keep them healthy. But how much can the bee keeper control?

I imagine that one may not have a lot of control over regional use of insecticides or invasion by other bees carrying diseases or parasites!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Let me reformulate my question. Sure, a physician can recognize some diseases by external examination. Just as well, a beekeeper can recognize several problems in a hive by external examination. For example, how bees fly can be telling. Just as well, the behavior of a hive when opened or some smells may alert me.

But what a physician or a beekeeper cannot do is to be sure of the absence of diseases. Your question was whether my bees were healthy. Apparently, yes. Even if there is evidence of a problem in my first picture (the bees on a comb). Can you spot it?

Jerome Marot

From the picture alone, lack of queen is not a bad bet as the picture does not show open brood. And indeed that picture was taken at the same moment as the second one, I had to remove the queen to make the hive raise new ones.

The problem I thought about is circled in red in the following picture. There is a varroa riding on a bee. I did not notice it directly (I only noticed it on the picture), but I knew that the hive had more parasites than normal. As the varroa reproduce in the brood, when you start seeing some riding of bees the infection level is very high.

54D2E3FC-7C51-4D25-ADF8-A8E6F841185E.jpeg

Of course, here, as there is little brood for the varroa to hide, seeing one is not really significant. Latter in season, treatment showed that the level was elevated compared to the other hives, but no reason for panic.

Paul Iddon

This wasp was quiet happy for me to take it's photo - time was around 7pm, and the day was wet and windy, and cool at around 16°C.

As well as being voracious and important predators, (common (Vespula vulgaris)) wasps are increasingly recognised (according to BBC Science) as being valuable pollinators, transferring pollen as they visit flowers to drink nectar. It is actually their thirst for sweet liquids that helps to explain why they become so bothersome at this time of year.

wasp_lyc_00_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wasp_lyc_01_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wasp_lyc_02_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wasp_lyc_03_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wasp_lyc_05_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wasp_lyc_06_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wasp_lyc_09_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wasp_lyc_08_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Jerome Marot

I didn't know we had Germanica in the UK...

Vespula Germanica is common all over Europe. But I am not 100% sure which one is that, Vespula Germanica and Vespula Vulgaris are difficult to tell apart and the features of that particular individual are not that clear cut. They can be identified by the way they build their nest, but we don't have that on the picture.

Jerome Marot

Do they spread pests and diseases to hives or to flowers bees visit?

I am not aware of diseases spread from wasps to bees, but I don't think that particular area has been much studied. But common wasps can directly attack beehives to rob their food and are a general predator of other insects. It rarely causes concern, unless the beehive is already very weak.

Common wasps (Vespula Vulgaris and Germanica) have their role in the European ecosystem, but are considered a pest as they tend to proliferate due to human activities. They are one of the few native species I don't hesitate to kill as we have too many of them, especially near cities. Removing a few may help restore the balance towards rarer insects.

Asher Kelman

I am not aware of diseases spread from wasps to bees, but I don't think that particular area has been much studied. But common wasps can directly attack beehives to rob their food and are a general predator of other insects. It rarely causes concern, unless the beehive is already very weak.

Common wasps (Vespula Vulgaris and Germanica) have their role in the European ecosystem, but are considered a pest as they tend to proliferate due to human activities. They are one of the few native species I don't hesitate to kill as we have too many of them, especially near cities. Removing a few may help restore the balance towards rarer insects.
It appears the there might be exchanges of the microbiome of wasps and honey bees.

Jerome Marot

Some exchange is not surprising, but the question was about pathogens. When you think about it, pollinating insects have been around for 200 millions years. They feed on nectar, which the plants produce in small quantities at regular intervals. The plant's interest is to get as many visits as it can.

So, basically, all pollinators have been drinking from the same glasses for 200 millions years. That is a long time to evolve and adapt defense mechanisms from food-borne diseases, isn't it?

Asher Kelman

Some exchange is not surprising, but the question was about pathogens. When you think about it, pollinating insects have been around for 200 millions years. They feed on nectar, which the plants produce in small quantities at regular intervals. The plant's interest is to get as many visits as it can.

So, basically, all pollinators have been drinking from the same glasses for 200 millions years. That is a long time to evolve and adapt defense mechanisms from food-borne diseases, isn't it?
…and likewise for viruses, bacteria and mites etc to also evolve to exploit that viable niche in nature!

Asher

Jerome Marot

…and likewise for viruses, bacteria and mites etc to also evolve to exploit that viable niche in nature!

Indeed, but there is an important difference. There is no evolutionary pressure towards becoming more lethal for them, on the contrary. It is never a good idea to kill your host. Being a pathogen is a sign of a maladapted virus or bacteria, which usually jumped from its normal host to a new host. For example: covid. Humans have long lived with a bunch of coronaviruses strains, which normally cause little more than a running nose (which is how they spread). It took a maladapted strain to clog the hospitals with patients needing respirators.

Asher Kelman

Jérôme,

“Maladaption”, you see, is itself, often the start of further evolutionary adaptive pressure on the diverse micro and macro “eco-biomes” of life-pockets on the planet.

Maladaption can simply come from a group of hominids finally traversing what was before an impossible barrier, and the ecosystem they enter faces a major new stress!

Asher

Paul Iddon

On our walk on Monday, amongst other photos I found a wasp that had been in the Himalayan balsam flowers, but upon leaving, laden with pollen, it made a fatal move and became entwined in a spider web... It seemed to capture the attention of another...

60mm_web_trapwasp_00_4k_1800-X2.jpg

60mm_web_trapwasp_01_4k_1800-X2.jpg

60mm_web_trapwasp_04_4k_1800-X2.jpg

60mm_web_trapwasp_02_4k_1800-X2.jpg

Paul.