• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Profiling a scanner

Nill Toulme

OK I have a newby question. I just bought a new flatbed scanner, an Epson V700. I'll be using it to scan color prints, not film or slides. Should I profile it, and if so how?

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Doesn't it come with a default profile? If not, look at Epson's Web site, Iam quite sure they have at least one (normal, there may be a second for linear output).

Dierk Haasis

pro member
You may be interested in two reviews by Vincent Oliver:

V750 - which in Europe does not come with the wet mounting equipment [TMK it is not sold separately either]. V700.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Dierk Haasis said:
You may be interested in two reviews by Vincent Oliver:

V750 - which in Europe does not come with the wet mounting equipment [TMK it is not sold separately either]. V700.

Ignore the quote specifications from Epson, Dynamic range in O.D. of region of 4.0 marketing hype with no relationship to reality.

If it is 2.8, that will be great!

Otherwise, these are great scanners.

Report your impressions. We need to pay attention to scanners in this price range as not everyone can afford or justify an Imacon.

To me, these flat bed scanners are now so good that only occaisonal images need to be scanned professionally for us anymore.

The huge problem is time. Preselection on a light box is critical.

The option of taking pictures in a slide copier is worth considering too.

However, we all should get a flat bed as uses will sudenly appear!

Asher

Nill Toulme

Thanks Dierk — it was actually those reviews which helped me to select this scanner.

However, we all should get a flat bed as uses will sudenly appear!

Speaking of which, Asher, I saw a very interesting article online somewhere just this week (and now I can't find it) about a highly regarded macro scientific photographer, one who had done amazing things with electron scanning microscopes, etc., who now due to disability from Parkinson's Disease (if I recall correctly) is doing equally amazing things with arrangements of natural elements on color copiers. Wish I could find the darn article...

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Mary Bull

Uses for a scanner

My flatbed scanner is old by today's standards, I guess. It's an HP Scanjet PrecisionScan Pro 3.0. Will take up to 11x18 inches paper size on the flatbed. Is comfortable with an opened book as much as two inches thick. I've had it since early 2003.

I have the attachment for scanning film negatives and slides. I have the document feeder attachment.

I bought the scanner in order to scan to my hard drive a book I had written in PFSWrite on our old dual-floppy IBM, in 1986. Of course, my Compaq Presario 440 could not accomodate those 5 1/4 inch floppies. So, I printed from the IBM machine to my little Epson daisy-wheel printer. And scanned those pages with the HP Scanjet, which came bundled with ReadIris.

ReadIris gave me quite a clean-up job to do in Word, but it was still easier than retyping the entire book.

I have scanned in hundreds of old family snapshots, but there would be thousands yet to do, if I were to try to put all the old photos in.

Reading this thread has has given me an idea to use LightZone to try to clean up some old b/w snapshots made in the 1920s . My parents, very early in their marriage.

I hadn't even thought until this minute of the possibility of perhaps darkening the pale images a bit and increasing the contrast.

I'm going to experiment right now with this.

Mary