• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Queen of the night Cactus Flower

Tony Monroy

Never paid attention to this cactus my nephew left behind.
It seems that it blooms for only one night.
Taken with a 100mm Canon macro lens and lighted with an Led lamp.

5DS_200816_CanonEF-100mm_Macro_20sec_f11_100mm_ISO200_0669Smaller.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Never paid attention to this cactus my nephew left behind.
It seems that it blooms for only one night.
Taken with a 100mm Canon macro lens and lighted with an Led lamp.

View attachment 6243

The picture is detailed and impressive. I wonder if it’s fertilized by moths, like the dandelion, by parthenogenesis, ie self fertilizing!

Where is the LED light and what is it?

I would LOVE to see more of this plant.

WILL Thompson ring light mod fits over the 100mm Macro, perfect for such shots. Is it better? We could compare them!

Asher

Tony Monroy

It is a little cactus, the flower is huge. My understanding is that it is pollinated by bats and moths but this one did not produce any fruit.
Selenicereus grandiflorus: Pics - Wiki
The led lamp was next to the camera. It allowed me to light the flower precisely where I wanted. I got the lamp from Gearbest; it uses a 26650 Lithium cell.

img326.jpg
IMG_6217.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for the details and extra pictures!

This flower is only open for 6 hours so it’s future depends on the pollination it hopes for!

It must REALLY trust those bats and moths.

BTW, I wonder whether a lot of the moths get eaten by the bats, LOL!

As to that impressive zoom! What on earth is it and what does it fit on and for what?

Asher

Tony Monroy

As to that impressive zoom! What on earth is it and what does it fit on and for what
Bought it from Gearbest but don't see it anymore. It sells under different names (with the same housing) on Amazon and eBay; like these:

Tactical Flashlight Police LED Torch Powerful Light Military Outdoor Lamp 3 Mode

Super Bright Tactical Military LED Flashlight flash light 2000 Lumen 10000 LUX

Some may be better than others depending on the chip-led used.

The lithium batteries are difficult to import (and more expensive these days) due to shipping restrictions:
Not sure if customs will allow them, some links:

LiitoKala Lii-50A 26650 5000mah

HK LiitoKala Lii-50A 26650 5000mah 26650-50A Li-ion 3.7v Rechargeable Battery

This USA company sells all kind of batteries: batteryspace.com: LiNiMnCo 26650 Rechargeable Cell: 3.6V 5Ah (18Wh, 15A rated) - UN38.3 Passed
But the Liitokala seem to have better discharge specs. I use these cells to replace some older power sources like the gel battery on my Metz 60-ct4
I used two glued 26650 holders holders and place inside the gel battery holder. I remove the cells to charge on my Opus charger:

The charger: opus bt-c3100 v2.2

More info: BudgetLightForum.com

img327.jpg

img328.jpg

Last edited: