• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Readyloads vs Quickloads

Erik DeBill

Asher suggested quickloads as a way to cut down on dust. I'd already been thinking about quickloads or readyloads as a way to cut down on weight when I finally get to take my large format system hiking.

I've started shooting with TMAX 400. I'd rather not change films for a while - at least until I can learn this one. That would point to using readyloads. At least I could use something close (TMAX 100).

I've seen various references that say that readyloads have problems with light leaks, but the ones with a firm date on them all go back several years. Some reference Kodak continually trying to improve them.

Are light leaks still a problem with the Kodak readyloads? No matter which brand I go with, the individual film sheets will be much more expensive than plain sheet film, so I want to make sure I'll be happy with whatever I choose.

Graham Welland

I use both Kodak ReadyLoad & Fuji QuickLoad holders and have never had a problem with either, other than those caused by operator error. If I only had one holder, it would be the Kodak as it works ok with either film - the Fuji holder doesn't play well Kodak film and grabs at the locking lip at the end of the film although it has worked for me in the past when I've mistakenly used it with 100VS etc.

Since the film holders do have certain parts that will wear or degrade from continuous use, such as the latch assembly, clip edge etc, I'd recommend that it's worth buying the holder new vs pre-owned. You might save $100 on a used one but what's that worth if you lose that once in a lifetime shot because the clip didn't release and you inadvertantly pull the slide out again ...

The main thing to remember is to ensure that you push the slide all the way back in after exposure and maintain a firm hold on the end and push the release ALL the way in otherwise it's easy to have the cover slip slightly away from the end clip - that'll fog the end of the slide if you let this happen.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Graham,

All this is going to move me to buy a new Kodak ReadyLoad! I'll have to look up the prices.

Asher

Erik DeBill

Me too. I'm thinking that Kodak Readyloads are in my future, since they'll work with TMX and Provia (I've never heard anyone recommend Kodak slide film).

Don Lashier

Pardon my ignorance. I shot with 4x5 back in the 60's but don't know the difference between readyloads and quickloads. I had holders that held two slide-in sheets and if I ran out I carried a changing bag to reload them. I suppose I could google but it's so much easier to ask here ;)

- DL

Erik DeBill

Don Lashier said:
Pardon my ignorance. I shot with 4x5 back in the 60's but don't know the difference between readyloads and quickloads. I had holders that held two slide-in sheets and if I ran out I carried a changing bag to reload them. I suppose I could google but it's so much easier to ask here ;)

You're describing standard film holders. Readyloads and Quickloads have the film in little paper envelopes, so you don't have to load holders in the dark before you can expose the film. You also only have to carry a single holder for any amount of film - you just carry more of the little packets. It's like a Polaroid 545 adapter, but the film doesn't develop itself.

On the plus side, there's no opportunity for dust getting on the negatives when you load the holder, and the combination of holder and film should be lighter and more compact than for an equivalent number of conventional film exposures (at least after you get past the first few). On the minus side there are some reports of light leaks and the film costs 2-3 times as much as traditional sheet film.

Readyloads and Quickloads are the brand names from Kodak and Fuji, respectively. They're almost but not quite compatible.