• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Recent image - feedback appreciated

Eric Hiss

Hi All,
Here's an image that I took last night. I work with the figure quite a bit but this is different than my some of my normal work and I'm going crosseyed looking at this. I'd love some feedback.

The image was light with a single strobe bounced off of two large white muslins to achieve a larger/softer light. Capture was with the Leica DMR.

L1092936-Edit3.jpg

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Eric,

Stunning!

The situation with the right leg - which is evidently being "held up" by the model, yet in a position one would expect to be restant, adds something unique to the work - I'm not sure how to classify it.

The model has gorgeous, but serious, legs. Is she by any chance a dancer?

Eric Hiss

Here's a black and white version

Hi,
Here's a black and white toned version using the 'Greg Gorman' method to covert to black and white.

L1092936-Edit3bwtonedweb.jpg

Eric Hiss

more info

Hi Doug,
No as far as I know she is not a dancer. Just met her during that shoot. She works as a Chemist in a private company. I guess her legs are fairly muscular but in other poses she looks lithe. I was tempted to 'slim' them down in photoshop but I really like to keep the images as they are and work harder to find the beauty that is really there.
Eric

Eric Hiss

thanks for posting the link

Georg,
Thanks for posting the link. I only used the simplified method here - convert to lab select lightness, invert selection, then add a color layer with the selection. The darker areas get most of the color. I did make a curves adjustment after that but it was only slight.

This is not my normal b&w conversion method...I normally use Imagefactory convert to black and white pro plugin which is really great. But somehow I couldn't get something I liked so I tried this and viola!

Curious to know which image everyone prefers... toned b&w or color? I like both but would most likely use the b&w for prints.

Eric

Doug Kerr

Hi, Eric,
Curious to know which image everyone prefers... toned b&w or color? I like both but would most likely use the b&w for prints.

Actually, of the two (and this is based on just viewing the images as they are displayed by my browser), I slightly prefer the full color image.

The skin tones in the toned B/W (again, as viewed on my browser) are a little dark for my taste.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

She works as a Chemist in a private company.

Vive la chimie!

I guess her legs are fairly muscular but in other poses she looks lithe. I was tempted to 'slim' them down in photoshop but I really like to keep the images as they are . . .

A wise decision (certainly in this case), in my opinion.

Best regards,

Doug