• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Recomendation needed. Cheap non memory digital point & shoot

Jim Galli

People ask you the dumbest questions right. I could answer questions about high end gear perhaps, but I'm tasked with getting the company a digital point and shoot and the most important requirement is that it MUST not have any volatile memory capability beyond the removable media. In other words if I forget to take the memory card, I'm dead in the water. High end cameras do this, like my D200 D1H are no problem. But we need a low end digital camera with no memory capability beyond the memory card. What's a good one? 4MP would be overkill. Looking for something on the shelf in Las Vegas, so current. Ideas?

Cem_Usakligil

I am confused...

... as to why this is a requirement. IINM, all digital cameras have a buffer memory for at least one image till the time it can be written to the memory card. Otherwise, no digital camera would function by definition. So what's the real deal here?

Cheers,

Jim Galli

Dis-regard and thanks. I've decided our Fuji S9000 is the camera for the job. It's a POS anyways so if I have to grind it to powder, no loss.

Cem_Usakligil

I suspect this means any digital compact that doesn't have built-in storage.

Check out DCResource.com
No, I don't think he does mean it. I have read and reread the original question. Volatile memory is one which loses its content when the power is cut down. Such as the buffer of any digital camera out there. If the description would have been non-volatilememory, then you'd have been right.
What puzzles me though is that I am not aware of any point and shoot digicams which have built in non-volatile storage. If there are some, then they are certainly in the minority.
Go figure....

Cheers,

No, I don't think he does mean it. I have read and reread the original question. Volatile memory is one which loses its content when the power is cut down. Such as the buffer of any digital camera out there.

Yep, that's what's puzzling. I can only understand the requirement as one of security (against latent/dorment copies), but that's not an issue with volatile in-camera (non-permanent storage) memory to begin with.

Bart

Last edited:

Rhys Sage

pro member
No, I don't think he does mean it. I have read and reread the original question. Volatile memory is one which loses its content when the power is cut down. Such as the buffer of any digital camera out there. If the description would have been non-volatilememory, then you'd have been right.
What puzzles me though is that I am not aware of any point and shoot digicams which have built in non-volatile storage. If there are some, then they are certainly in the minority.
Go figure....

Cheers,

There are some with volatile storage. They're not the ones we normally consider as anything other than children's cameras. They usually cost $50 or less. I never found one that would work - lol.