• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Recovering Data Off A Memory Card???

ErikJonas

Banned
I have 3 SD cards and i know theres a recovery program for SD cards. I want to recover them as some of the images on them are what i lost on my drive that crashed. Does anyone know how to get the recovery program for memory cards? I have just heard of it and know its out there....

Michael Fontana

pro member
Erik

I have Rescue Pro; it came with the Sandisks CF- or SD-cards.
When doing a test I was amazed that it not only recovered the last images, but some older ones, as well.

John Angulat

pro member
Erik,
I use the same. Works well (assuming the card is not damaged or unreadable).
I also have a product called "Photo Rescue".
There's quite a large selection out there.
Just Google recover+"memory card" and you'll have more than enough choices.

ErikJonas

Banned

I looked up rescue pro its $4.99 on Amazon...Michael you say you have gotten older images back?

And thanks for the input John.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Erik,
Mike's correct and I think you might be surprised at what you see on those cards.
Data's written to the cards (in a sense) similar to writing to a hard drive.
Provided the memory space was not needed (hence overwritten) there may be some old images there. However, if you re-format the card you will lose old data.
I always delete images but seldom re-format for that very reason.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

ErikJonas

Banned

Oh okay....I always format the card...Infact i think someone here said you should do that.So the images are gone...Well...Still on my crashed hard drive but i cant get them back off the other memory cards...It was woth a shot...Oh well....

Oh okay....I always format the card...Infact i think someone here said you should do that.So the images are gone...Well...Still on my crashed hard drive but i cant get them back off the other memory cards...It was woth a shot...Oh well....

Formatting a card may not be that destructive. It usually is implemented as a "Quick Formatting" which leaves the data itself intact. Only when it is a "Low level formatting" will the data be overwritten.

Cheers,
Bart

Michael Fontana

pro member
Erik

I always format the card in the camera, but still some older ones came up, some were older than several times of formatting. Off course you can't know which ones will be recovered.

If you don't mind using the terminal (on OS-X), you could try with PhotoRec - that one is free. A windows-version is avaliable, too.

Whit PhotoRec, I once could get back a lot of images, they were lost after someone installed a new OS on his computer! So after initialisation - everbody would say, that the disk is empty, I still was able to recoverabout 30'000's of images - the hard task then was to select the important ones from the unimportant.....

ErikJonas

Banned

Update.... I was given a copy of Zero Assumption which is a free SD card recovery program and zero is what it came up with off the card....Next i tried Photorecovery a program thats linked off the Scan Disc web site and that did well, got back many older images how ever once i close the program the images disappear....So a lot of good that does me...It was the demo version. Maybe thats the thing it will show you what it can do but wont give you anything... So thats where its at right now....Still seeking options....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Update.... I was given a copy of Zero Assumption which is a free SD card recovery program and zero is what it came up with off the card....Next i tried Photorecovery a program thats linked off the Scan Disc web site and that did well, got back many older images how ever once i close the program the images disappear....So a lot of good that does me...It was the demo version. Maybe thats the thing it will show you what it can do but wont give you anything... So thats where its at right now....Still seeking options....
Erik,

So how expensive is the program? If it gets back your pictures that sound great.

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned

Its about $100....Spin Rite is about $89.00 i have heard more about Spin Rite..I do not know if Spin Rite does both main drives and SD cards....

Asher Kelman

Erik,

Would you trust the store to not keep copies of your best pictures if they offered to recover the files from your drive or disks for free? Imagine you have wonderfulo pictures there that will boggle the minds of the technician. What then?

If so, why? If not why not!

Asher

Its about $100....Spin Rite is about $89.00 i have heard more about Spin Rite..I do not know if Spin Rite does both main drives and SD cards....

While I've read reports of Spinrite being used with Flash media, it is not recommended because it will wear out the limited number of writes to a Flash medium. What's more important, Spinrite is not a file recovery program, it is a (mostly magnetic) signal recovery program. It's especially useful with IDE drives where mechanical tolerances and dropping magnetic signal to noise levels prohibit to read data (bits and bytes) from a medium. Spinrite can in many cases revive the signal levels (most useful on IDE devices), and it doesn't bother with file systems and such, it only sees bits (ones and zeros).

What you need for a formatted flash card is a competent file recovery application, not Spinrite.

Cheers,
Bart

Spin Rite requires you start the computer in DOS!

Hi Asher,

That's correct, but it does that by booting from a CD that can be made with the disk image it produces (if the system doesn't support 3.5in 'floppies'). The problem will potentially be to get the card driver recognised from the DOS environment.

But that's all moot in this case, Spinrite is not the correct tool for filerecovery after formatting a medium.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

That's correct, but it does that by booting from a CD that can be made with the disk image it produces (if the system doesn't support 3.5in 'floppies'). The problem will potentially be to get the card driver recognised from the DOS environment.

But that's all moot in this case, Spinrite is not the correct tool for filerecovery after formatting a medium.
Bart,

Good points. However, using a disk image of a damaged disk platter is not the best way of accessing the data. It might be great for a first run. I believe Spinrite is able to approach the damage sectors repeatedly to pickup the weak signals at a damaged sector. So, for that, the original drive is needed.

In this case, with a memory card, I expect the data to be fully recovered by sophisticated mature software as many companies including Prosoft offers.

Asher

Bart,

Good points. However, using a disk image of a damaged disk platter is not the best way of accessing the data. It might be great for a first run.

Yes, if there is a risk of mechanically damaging a drive, it's better to try and extract data from a sector copy of the data. That can be tried repeatedly without damaging the drive/platters any more than they may already have been.

I believe Spinrite is able to approach the damage sectors repeatedly to pickup the weak signals at a damaged sector. So, for that, the original drive is needed.

That's correct.

In this case, with a memory card, I expect the data to be fully recovered by sophisticated mature software as many companies including Prosoft offers.

Indeed, with flash memory there are no moving parts, so reading should not damage anything, although there is a risk of an operating system writing to memory (e.g. to create thumbnails), which would overwrite acual image data. It's always better to first create a copy of the data (including file structure).

I just replaced my CD/DVD writer software with Nero 9 Reloaded, and it apparently also has a file recovery option. I'haven't tried it yet, but it might be something Erik could try on his new hard disk, assuming he needs some sort of CD writer software (other than the Windows built-in capabilities) anyway.

Cheers,
Bart

ErikJonas

Banned

K i'm doing my very best to follow this conversation...I think what i have learned so far is that before i do ANYTHING with my crashed drive is learn more about my options and what it involves....

One thing i was told is like when i plugged it in, the drive while it was in the external housing, a windows message came up saying drive needs to be formated ....I was told about this to do a quick format, that that would not damage data on the drive....Thoughts on this Bart or Asher?

Asher Kelman

K i'm doing my very best to follow this conversation...I think what i have learned so far is that before i do ANYTHING with my crashed drive is learn more about my options and what it involves....

One thing i was told is like when i plugged it in, the drive while it was in the external housing, a windows message came up saying drive needs to be formated ....I was told about this to do a quick format, that that would not damage data on the drive....Thoughts on this Bart or Asher?
Erik,

A "quick format"?

How would you think about someone doing his own eye surgery?

Erik, you cannot allow yourself to try out things if you want to have the best chance of a good outcome. Do not do any "quick format"! there must be nothing written to the drive platter. In good hands, the person will make a "disk image" without writing one iota, one "electron" on to the disk platter. That's what the program I suggested to you and i have obtained will do. That's what folk who charge $1000 - $2500 for recovery really do a lot of the time. Of course, the dirve can be taken apart and the platters can be remounted in an identical but working mechanism and then the high charge you get is justified. However, I believe that is not the case.

Each time i had a disk in to a service center where they said it was $99 to check the drive and do a software recovery if it was possible, they told me that it had to go for the $1500 clean room treatment!

Each time I recovered the data, albeit slowly and painfully with 95% of the files intact and with unreal names.

So I believe that the Prosoft $99 software solution is likely one of the safest routes you can go. Likely, you shouldn't do it yourself, since you do not have sufficient experience to be 100% sure that you are not going to screw up. The same with a person doing their own eye surgery!

Neither eyes not personal photographs can be re-created if lost!

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned

Tonight i am going to try to run that Zero Assumption on the crashed drive...Mark tells me it will not write anything to the drive.

Data recovery programs are read-only, except when they are saving your recovered data. Then, they normally allow you where you'd like to save the recovered data.