• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

James Lemon

DSC_9129_00001.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
OMG, James,

What a lucky fellow you are!

Not only is the bird a delight but the texture of the cracked and flaking bark of the tree is a remarkable companion for this colorful subject!

This fellow is certainly worth sticking around for. Can you share how you came across this bird and how long did you have to get pictures.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I had to read up on the sap suckers and discovered that the tapped holes to get at the sugar rich fluid of the phloem.

It seems like the sapsuckers provide an for the supply of nectar that is 90% of the Hummers survival diet!

How do Hummingbirds Benefit from Sapsucker drilled “wells”?

“Fortuitously, phloem sap is nearly identical in sugar content to flower nectar, providing hummingbirds with a suitable alternative. This is especially important to hummingbirds like our Broad-tailed, which often arrive on their mountain nesting grounds before many flowers are blooming. Nectar represents as much as 90 percent of a hummingbird’s diet, but they also need protein. The second important part of a hummingbird’s diet is insects, and these protein-rich bugs are also found at sapsucker wells, being drawn there by their own affinity for sweet sap. In summer, these same wells attract migrating Rufous and Calliope Hummingbirds, passing through Summit County on their way south, back to their wintering grounds in Mexico. Interestingly, this same pattern is repeated throughout the sapsucker’s range. For example, the Red-naped Sapsuckers that nest in Colorado in the summer move to southeastern Arizona for the winter. There, they drill sap wells in mesquite trees, drawing Anna’s and Costa’s Hummingbirds to the insect-laden, nutritious sap.”

(Can’t find the correct link, LOL)

James Lemon

OMG, James,

What a lucky fellow you are!

Not only is the bird a delight but the texture of the cracked and flaking bark of the tree is a remarkable companion for this colorful subject!

This fellow is certainly worth sticking around for. Can you share how you came across this bird and how long did you have to get pictures.

Asher

Thanks Asher! Walking in the forest and I heard a distinct sound that I normally don't hear. I stopped looked around then spotted this woodpecker but a quick 3 shots and it flew off.

Best, regards
James

James Lemon

I had to read up on the sap suckers and discovered that the tapped holes to get at the sugar rich fluid of the phloem.

It seems like the sapsuckers provide an insurance policy for the supply of nectar that is 90% of the Hummers survival diet!

How do Hummingbirds Benefit from Sapsucker drilled “wells”?

“Fortuitously, phloem sap is nearly identical in sugar content to flower nectar, providing hummingbirds with a suitable alternative. This is especially important to hummingbirds like our Broad-tailed, which often arrive on their mountain nesting grounds before many flowers are blooming. Nectar represents as much as 90 percent of a hummingbird’s diet, but they also need protein. The second important part of a hummingbird’s diet is insects, and these protein-rich bugs are also found at sapsucker wells, being drawn there by their own affinity for sweet sap. In summer, these same wells attract migrating Rufous and Calliope Hummingbirds, passing through Summit County on their way south, back to their wintering grounds in Mexico. Interestingly, this same pattern is repeated throughout the sapsucker’s range. For example, the Red-naped Sapsuckers that nest in Colorado in the summer move to southeastern Arizona for the winter. There, they drill sap wells in mesquite trees, drawing Anna’s and Costa’s Hummingbirds to the insect-laden, nutritious sap.”

Yes this is interesting Asher! I have humming birds at the back porch buzzing back and forth all day. I feed them a mixture of sugar and water mixed 1 to 4 ratio they love it.

Best, regards
James