• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Remains of aqueduct built in the XV century - Setúbal, Portugal

Antonio Correia

i-TrzrFrF-X4.jpg
i-mBFWXGk-X4.jpg
i-w3fZMs7-X4.jpg
i-qG2CVvr-X4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fabulous find, Antonio!

Is the water still flowing or is that just rain water?

Where is it?

is this on private land?

I wonder why it’s not care for as this could be a tourist site of great interest!

In places like the U.K. or Israel, the local municipality makes sure this is protected and even partly rebuilt and then there’s a museum/gift shop and it gets put on a list of protected places of interest.

These are national treasures.

Also, there might be archaeological digs in such historical major engineering structures, as for sure there’s pottery, weapons and other artifacts waiting to be discovered nearby!

Asher Kelman

Do you have figured out whether there are rooms and service areas or is this just passive like a bridge and required no staff or workers to maintain it?

Antonio Correia

@ Don
Thank you Don for your comment. Indeed the graffiti is a shame...
@ Asher
The place is completely abandoned for many, many years.
There are 3 constructions. The main one is number 1.
I started by shooting from a window on the second number 2, where a head passes with difficulty.
I shot using the screen of the camera. Curiously, there are benches at spring level which I shot in another day.
I went through the tunnel to the right (direction 1 towards 2) and shot the benches at spring level. I have not been deeper but I want to.
I think the water is coming from the ground where the benches are as after them, the tunnel goes down.
Luisa went the other way from 1 to 3.
To go inside is a bit dangerous as the walls are cracked... very cracked !
The last photo is a view to the entrance.

i-kBrwP4D-M.png

2021-03-10%4011.06.10-X4.jpg
2021-03-09%4015.48.03-X4.jpg
2021-03-10%4011.08.33-X4.jpg

Asher Kelman

Fabulous!

But where exactly is it located? Is it near the Church or outside Setúbal?

Have you found any Wikipedia or historical references?

Don’t go alone in case you slip and fall!

Great lighting for a nude shoot!

I imagine t is pretty clean!

Antonio Correia

It is a bit outside Setúbal. Just 3,4 kilometers away from home where I walk to among the fields.
I have found few historical references but I know someone who does and I am waiting for him to tell me anything about this
That was the advice of Luisa ! Not to go alone inside ! I will have to do it with her or at least when she stays nearby at voice range...
It is clean, indeed... but there are many rocks. One has to wear protective shoes as we walk in shallow water.

The darker shots were carefully done. I blocked the ISO to a low value and exposed for the highlights. The 7III works nicely in there.
I gave a compensation to more light as I was watching trough the EVF
Zebras were ON also. I leaned against the wall as the shutter speed was low...

The first shot, the first of all, was done with a Sony RX100 II

Cheers ! :)

Antonio Correia

Thank you Will for your comment. Perhaps you have other interesting place to shoot... :)

Impressive shots (as always!) I particularly like this one with the living falling water, despite the stupid graffiti.

Merci Nicolas ! :)
I was leaning against the wall with a very low shutter speed having restricted the ISO to 5.000 so I wouldn't get too much noise as I was reading the light to the brighter area while carefully adjusting EC
In fact I made two shots to be sure I would get one as the SS was very low.

i-wzZDFjB-S.png

Asher Kelman

Interesting that the graffiti adds life! It now appears like an advertisement in a French Metro Station!